What to do if vomiting remedy for nausea and vomiting
Nausea and vomiting are the most common and frequent symptoms. They can develop when a large number of diseases, including poisoning, infection, pathology of the Central nervous system. In some situations, to throw up maybe a completely healthy person. In this article, we discussed what to do with vomiting in adults, what are some antiemetic drugs can be taken, in some cases, the patient should immediately seek medical help?
What is vomiting, why it may occur
Nausea and vomiting is a defense mechanisms of our body. When injected into the stomach of defective and damaged products, he tries to get rid of them in no time. With vomiting of the gastric cavity spontaneously detoxify. This helps to reduce the intoxication syndrome.
Vomiting can be a clinical manifestation of severe and dangerous diseases and conditions. In its development it is necessary to pay attention to the General condition of the patient and other symptoms that have appeared from him.
Also vomiting can be a symptom of chronic diseases of the digestive system. For example, gastritis, inflammation of the mucous membrane of the stomach vomiting is due to irritation of the gastric walls. In some cases retching are of Central nervous origin, due to irritation or lesions of the brain, the meninges. The following are the main causes of nausea and vomiting:
- Food poisoning, alcohol, chemicals, medicines. Under this condition, vomiting may be the first symptom manifested. At poisoned person also develops diarrhea, stomach pain, heartburn, flatulence, intestinal colic.
- Intestinal infections, e.g. salmonellosis, dysentery. When the disease is accompanied by profuse diarrhea, fever, abdominal pain, General weakness.
- Acute gastritis or exacerbation of his chronic. In addition to vomiting, the clinical picture will be heartburn, a feeling of bloating of the stomach belching sour. In acute inflammatory process may increase the body temperature to subfebrile figures.
- Acute or chronic pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas), in addition to vomiting, manifested by irregularity, intestinal colic, when the temperature rises. In the case of acute pancreatitis develops girdle unbearable pain in the abdomen, may appear purple spots on the anterior abdominal wall.
- Cholecystitis, hepatic colic. This state is also characterized by aching or sharp pain in the right hypochondrium, belching with bitter taste, possible yellowing of the visible mucous membranes and skin.
- Renal colic. Vomiting in this case develops reflex in response to pain. The person has dry mouth, frequent discharge of urine.
- Gastro-intestinal bleeding. This condition develops as a result of violation of the integrity of the vessel in the wall of the stomach or duodenum. Vomit in this case painted in a dark, black color. This color is due to the coagulation of hemoglobin upon contact with gastric juice. When this condition develops melena (black stool), tachycardia, decreased blood pressure, weakness.
- Acute infectious diseases and influenza. When they may appear vomiting and nausea due to severe intoxication.
- Diseases of the Central nervous system: traumatic brain injury, meningitis, encephalitis, brain swelling, increased intracranial pressure, benign and malignant brain tumors. Vomiting Central nervous origin can develop without previous nausea, it does not bring the patient relief.
- Motion sickness in transport, sea-sickness. While vomiting is accompanied by bouts of dizziness, General weakness.
- Gestosis of pregnant women (morning sickness). Vomiting often develops during the first trimester of gestation of the baby.
Vomiting may also develop in completely healthy people with a severe nervous shocks, the feeling of fear and anxiety. The gag reflex may be a manifestation of disgust, for example, at the sight of blood, other people's vomit etc.
What to do if I see vomiting
If vomiting has not been triggered by stress or a feeling of disgust, a close eye on her appearance in any case impossible. Think, could it trigger foods or substances made by you earlier. Listen to your body, try to notice any other abnormalities in his condition.
It is best not to risk self-medicate and to call an ambulance home. Physicians can objectively assess the patient's condition and provide first aid.
Before arrival of physicians the patient should provide first aid, to try to improve his condition.
Your actions must proceed from a holistic clinical picture, seen at poisoned man, as the volume of emergency aid depends on the etiology of the development of symptoms.
Below we have tried to describe clear steps that you can do by yourself, at home, to help the man before the arrival of the brigade SMP.
Poisoning, intestinal infections
If you suspect a poisoning with products, alcohol, drugs or if signs of intestinal infection algorithm first aidwill be the following:
- Spend a gastric lavage. It is an effective remedy for nausea and vomiting in case of poisoning, as it helps to bring the remains of toxins and irritating the gastric mucosa substances. Give poisoned drink in one gulp a few glasses of plain water at room water. Then you need to provoke retching, by finger pressure on the tongue.
- After cleansing the digestive cavity should be taken from nausea sorbents. These drugs are able to neutralize toxins and excrete them in the body. Can have any drugs from this group, for example, sorbex, activated carbon, APSCO, POLYSORB, smectite.
If vomiting does not stop, and the ability to seek medical care you have at the moment, you can take special medications that suppress nausea and retching. These include reglan and metoclopramide. They block the vomiting center, affecting the Central nervous system.
Take anti-nausea drugs only after vomiting and gastric lavage. Otherwise, the toxins will remain in the body, which will lead to greater intoxication.
Vomiting leads to severe dehydration, so after taking the sorbents you need to start slowly to drink. Best suited plain water, neutral temperature and no gas. With ongoing nausea drink water in small SIPS, slowly. For example, one SIP every 5 minutes.
Gastrointestinal bleeding, poisoning with acids and alkalis
For gastrointestinal bleeding, poisoning with acids and alkalis the patient anything to drink, as well as not induce vomiting, gastric lavage. All of these actions can enhance bleeding or damage to the stomach lining and esophagus in the case of ingestion of acids and alkalis.
Explain to the patient that he should try to restrain retching until the arrival of the ambulance. If sick, do not puke, you have to calm down, deeply to breathe slowly.
Put the patient in bed, in a semi-sitting position. On the stomach put him on the ice. The cold triggers spasm of the blood vessels, and reduces pain and the degree of blood loss.
Acute pancreatitis, or hepatic, renal colic
These conditions are accompanied by severe pain, vomiting. In hepatic colic the pain is localized in the right hypochondrium, and at the kidney in the lumbar region.
Before the arrival of the ambulance you can drink from nausea and vomiting and severe pain antispasmodics, for example, but-Spa (drotaverine).
Vomiting of Central origin
To suspect such a cause of vomiting is not easy. In this case, it is important anamnestic data and additional symptoms. So, if in the past people were hit the head, you need to think about the concussion. With encephalitis, meningitis is fever, severe unbearable headache, the person will be difficult to raise his head from the pillow. Possible impairment of consciousness, convulsions, hallucinations.
In the case of suspected lesion of the Central nervous system to help a sick person can be a doctor. Before the arrival of SMP keep him isolated and don't leave one.
Frequent vomiting, headache and gradual reduction in visual acuity and weight of the patient, you need to see a doctor for detailed examination. These symptoms can be signs of malignancy.
Exacerbation of chronic gastritis
If you suffer from chronic gastritis, you probably already know and feel his aggravation. Most often it occurs in autumn or spring. It can also be triggered by errors in the diet, intake of alcohol, or any medicines, including anti-inflammatory and analgesics.
In case of acute gastritis you should always be medicines which can be taken for nausea and stomach pain.
Most doctors for the first aid treatment of acute gastritis is recommended to drink vomit adult antacids, for example, or fosfalyugel almagelum. They envelop the mucous that protects it from hydrochloric acid, eliminate pain and help stop the vomiting.
But after their reception and relief of the condition, you need to contact your gastroenterologist to assign the underlying etiological therapy. The detection of H. pylori infection is prescribed a course of antibiotics, which will help to eliminate the cause of the disease.
Further treatment and recovery
With development of severe vomiting in adult and in cases of suspected serious pathology hospitalityat the patient to the nearest hospital.
If the paramedics, arrived on a call, he was convinced that the human condition is not in danger, and found he had a simple poisoning or exacerbation of chronic gastritis, they may leave his house, cause his house of the local therapist.
After the cessation of vomiting, need to follow a diet, drink as much water as possible. To correct the dehydration, you can drink a special drug regidron. It comes in powder form and comes in portion controlled bags. One package of the drug should be diluted with one liter plain water.
When you are sick and vomits, call the ambulance. Remember that all necessary treatment should be prescribed by the attending doctor. Self-medication, even ifthe usual food poisoning can be dangerous to humans. Before arrival of a brigade of doctors, you can begin to provide patient aid. Reasons may develop vomiting and poisoning a lot and doctor before prescribing necessary treatment trying to understand them and to make a diagnosis.