The danger of salmonellosis to humans
Salmonella is a dangerous intestinal infectious disease. In the absence of time for the treatment it leads to serious consequences, to cope with which is not always a virtue even for an experienced qualified doctors. What is the danger of Salmonella which complications may cause this disease? These are the questions we answered in this article.
What is Salmonella and how you can get it
Salmonellosis refers to intestinal bacterial infections caused by Salmonella. This pathogen is very resistant to temperature, it is capable of long time to maintain their vital capacity in the environment.
When salmonellosis occurs lesions of the small intestine. The bacteria, once ingested with the food, penetrate into its wall, causing local inflammation. A foothold in the gut, pathogens begin to proliferate and produce harmful to the human body of toxins.
The mechanism of disease transmission: fecal-oral. Infected person can in the following situations:
- By eating long enough heat-treated Salmonella-infected eggs, meat and dairy products.
- Upon contact with an infected person. Most often, the infection occurs by ingestion of bacteria in food with poorly washed hands contagious person, after using the toilet.
- While swimming in waters contaminated by the feces infected with salmonellosis of animals or birds.
What are the symptoms of the disease appears
The first symptoms occur during the first two days after infection. Typically, salmonellosis is characterized by severe symptoms and serious condition of the patient.
With the development of the first signs of illness should immediately seek medical help. You can call an ambulance or to take the patient to the infectious Department.
- The increase in toxicity is manifested by hyperthermia (temperature rises to 39 degrees), body aches, headache, dizziness, General weakness, loss of strength.
- Pain in the abdomen. It can be the type of intestinal cramping or aching that is localized in the intestines. During defecation it is not strengthened.
- Nausea and subsequent vomiting. Vomiting and seizures can be repeated and frequent. The patient may vomit drinking fluid, bile and gastric juice.
- Multiple and profuse diarrhea. When salmonellosis for stool characteristic greenish, swamp shade. But it can develop not always, and the color of the chair should be minimized.
- Bloating, increased flatulence accompanied by discharge of gases.
What can be complications of salmonellosis
What is the danger of salmonellosis to humans? This disease can lead to serious complications for the first few hours.
Salmonellosis is most severe in tolerated in children, the elderly and patients who have problems with the cardiovascular system and immunity.
Below we discussed the complications and conditions that can develop in the setting of salmonellosis.
This condition develops due to loss of fluid with stool and vomiting.
Water-electrolyte failure can cause convulsions and loss of consciousness.
Dehydration is manifested by rapid pulse, feeling of weakness, decreased blood pressure, decreased skin tone, pale.
With the progression it leads to collapse and shock.
This is an acute and dangerous condition that develops on the background of severe intoxication and loss of liquid. In this case the person dramatically decreases the level of blood pressure, can develop cerebral edema and acute cardiovascular failure. When an infectious-toxic shock (ITSH) also develop acute lesions of the adrenal glands, develops their failure.
The main symptoms of ITCH:
- hyperthermia is where the temperature rises above 39 degrees;
- a sharp drop in pressure, with the development of hypotension;
- impaired consciousness to the level of stupor or coma;
- hemorrhagic rash on the skin that resembles a burn from the sun rays;
- convulsions resembling epilepsy;
- may develop a heart rhythm disturbance and pulmonary edema due to acute heart failure.
Acute renal failure
This condition develops on the background of sharp reduction of volume of circulating blood against the background of dehydration and a sharp drop in blood pressure.
Have drastically reduced the amount of produced urine, until its absence. This condition is known as "anuria".
This condition develops due to dehydration, intoxication and infectious-toxic shock. It is fatal for the patient. Manifested by the following symptoms:
- a decrease in heart rate (bradycardia);
- increased blood pressure for a short time, after which it again decreases dramatically;
- the bruising and redness of the skin of the face and neck(a symptom of udavlennika);
- paralysis and paresis of extremities;
- vision disorder;
- it joins the patient in a deep coma.
Acute cardiovascular failure
This state evolves with the progression of the disease and the absence of proper and timely treatment. Symptoms of heart insufficiency:
- lowering the temperature of the body;
- cold hands and feet;
- the strong reduction in pressure, the inability to palpate a pulse.
A person may occur clinical death due to cardiac arrest.
What to do with the development of salmonellosis
As we mentioned above, it is necessary to call an ambulance. Before their arrival, put the patient, provide him peace. Let him take some sorbents. It can be any drugs from that group, for example, smectite, APSCO, POLYSORB, enterosgel.
Then, after their admission, begin to use poisoned person. You can drink simple or mineral water, neutral, room temperature. In order not to provoke vomiting should drink small SIPS. For example, one SIP every 2-3 minutes.
All further treatment will be provided to physicians. Arrived on a call, they stabilize the patient, will adjust its pressure, pulse, will put a dropper with the solution and urgently hospitalitynet to the infectious Department.
Salmonella may be the cause of a large number of severe complications among which acute kidney failure, and the defeat of the cardiovascular system. In order to prevent their development, you should call an ambulance at the first sign of the disease. Trying to cure the patient alone in the home, you put his life in danger. Do not be afraid to go to the infectious disease clinic, patients they divided and isolated, there is risk of Contracting other infectious disease is minimal.