Home ficus: poisonous or not for human
The ficus is fairly common houseplants. Hard to find such a home on the windowsill or on the table stood a pretty pot of this plant. There are many varieties of this vegetation, but in the home often grow ficus benjamina and elastica. Ficus are poisonous or not, not all growers can say for sure. In addition, among the Slavs, there are some negative beliefs that are associated with these plants. It makes some people wonder what caused all these prejudices, and with great care to treat this plant in the house.
Whether to grow ficus at home
All figs were brought to us from tropical countries, although some representatives are found in temperate climates, for example, in the Crimea or Central Asia. Species of ficus are quite a few, and almost all of them are very useful plants. One species is ficus elastica, that is, from this plant is extracted a rubber.
In many tropical forests, animals and birds eat the fruits and leaves of these plants. While insects are happy to eat their crust.
For decorative purposes is grown a wide variety of rubber plants. This is ficus benjamina, elastica and even a plant with the name of the sacred ficus tree, which is very reminiscent of Japanese bonsai. All kinds of attractive in their own way, but require different care. Almost all the decorative ficus plants are small trees and shrubs, but with a strong desire of them can grow a full tree.
Like other plants, these decorative flowers have a special power that is favorable for any person:
- This vegetation has people to sociability.
- People are trusting each other.
- Improving relationships between colleagues and family members.
This explains the fact that such plants are often found in offices and public institutions.
There is a beautiful belief that if you give a ficus childless couple, then very soon they will have a child. Interestingly, in the Internet you can find many rave reviews from parents who this sign is helpful.
If poisonous ficus
With confidence we can say that ficus is toxic. In all parts of the plant have a juice that is very similar to milk. At hit of juice and parts of plants on the skin, eyes, or stomach such changes occur:
- Allergic reaction manifested by hives or flushed rash.
- On the skin feels itchy and burning.
- In case of contact with eyes, may burn of the mucosa and as a consequence blurred vision.
- If swallowed have symptoms of an acute intoxication manifested by vomiting, diarrhea, headache, convulsions and confusion. In severe cases, a person can fall into a coma.
Particular danger this plant poses to young children, pregnant women and Pets.
Ingestion of the leaves or the stem it is necessary to the victim to wash out the stomach, give the adsorbents and to call the doctor. If the juice gets on the skin or eyes, then you need to wash them with large amount of running water. If the vision is steadfastly deteriorating, may need hospitalization.
Ficus benjamina allows you to clean the air from harmful substances, but it should not make people who are prone to allergies.
How to prevent poisoning potted flowers
So they brought aesthetic pleasure, and did not harm the man it is necessary to follow certain safety rules:
- To care for the plants need only in gloves and with great caution. It is not necessary to charge the pruning or transplanting shrubs to children of any age and people who suffer from allergies.
- Do not put it is a poisonous plant in the nursery and on the floor where he can get Pets.
- After watering, trimming and transplanting vegetation thoroughly washed with soap hands.
If the family has someone suffers from a pronounced allergic reaction, it is better to abandon the ficus in the house. This will prevent the development of severe forms of the disease.
The use for medical purposes
Not all people know the ficus plant poisonous or not, and they do not know that this plant can be used for the treatment of certain diseases:
- Warts – twist in a meat grinder a few fleshy leaves resin flower and add a teaspoon of vinegar. Lubricate the affected places with a cotton swab, trying not to touch healthy skin.
- From bleeding – shredded in the meat grinder one large sheet of resin instance, add a tablespoon of honey and the same amount of flour. Mixed and the resulting pellet was applied to the bruise. Aged for about 8 hours, then remove. This procedure is good to do at night.
- Sciatica or low back pain – take a pair of large fleshy leaves, crushed with a knife and pour a liter of water. Bring to a boil, insist and RUB in the affected area.
In folk medicine, you can find a lot of recipes using the Fig tree, but before applying them, you should consult with your doctor and make sure noAllergy to this plant.
In China, the ficus tree is considered a sacred plant, it is customary to give to important dates.
Ficus is a completely low-maintenance plants that don't need special care. These flowers do not like direct sunlight, too much water and the temperature difference. All parts of this vegetation are poisonous, so such flowers with great care keeping in homes where there are small children or Pets.