Can I breastfeed while rotavirus in the mother or the child
Breastmilk is the perfect food for a newborn baby. With milk mom he gets all the necessary nutrients, vitamins and minerals. But what if the mother or child is ill intestinal infection, can I continue breastfeeding with such a pathology, or better to abandon it? These questions become relevant especially in the period if the rotavirus sick nursing mother. This is understandable, the woman worries that he hasn't picked up a nasty disease. To find out whether you can breastfeed while rotavirus, you need to understand the mechanism of transmission of this infection.
Rotavirus – what is it
Rotavirus is a pathogen that is easily transmitted from person to person and have a negative effect on the intestinal mucosa. The name of this Bacillus was given from the word "wheel" in Latin language, as well as under a microscope is very similar to the wheel.
The main route of transmission is considered to be fecal-oral path. The pathogen in the faeces of a sick person falls into a natural environment, where failure to observe basic hygiene rules can easily be infected with other people. It is absolutely not necessary to eat something in the food. Enough dirty hands to wipe lips, nose or eyes and pathogenic microbe already in the body. In addition, the source of infection could be vegetables and berries that grow on the plantations that are treated with fertilizer of questionable quality.
Feature of rotavirus is that in the initial stages the symptomatology is very similar to a respiratory infection.
The main ways of transmission
There are several ways of transmission of intestinal infections. A person can get infected if:
- the failure to observe simple hygienic rules, if not wash hands after toilet and before eating;
- the consumption of raw and poorly washed fruits and vegetables;
- the use of water by different people from the same Cup or bottle;
- the use of common towels;
- the use of unboiled milk;
- swimming in open water and ingestion of water.
Of great importance is the contact transmission. This is especially true if rotavirus in lactating mothers. If a woman is infected with this infection, without observing the precautions the kid almost always gets infected. If diagnosed with a rotavirus, the child is breastfed, the chances of not get virtually none in lactating women.
In the beginning of the disease germs affect the nasopharynx, which is manifested by sore throat and runny nose at this time, the transmission of the pathogen by airborne droplets. The most common way of transmission is characteristic for large groups, from mother to child, thus the virus is transmitted rarely.
Not to get sick with rotavirus, it is enough to observe elementary rules of hygiene!
Symptoms of the disease in the mother and baby
The main symptoms of the disease in the nursing mommy and the baby will be significantly different. This is because in the stomach of an adult more hydrochloric acid, which adversely affects the virus. If you get an infection in the stomach the majority of the bacilli quickly die.
Even if the pathogen is not killed under the influence of gastric juice from the mother there is another level of protection. The fact that the body of any adult person has special antibodies that were formed over time in response to transferred this disease.
Due to these factors the symptoms of the disease, a nursing mother can be erased and usually looks like this:
- Sore throat and pain when swallowing food and water.
- Mushy stools, although in some cases, a time can be watery.
- Desires on the bottom do not occur more than three times per day.
- A noticeable weakness.
As you can see, the symptoms are mild, they usually disappear without special treatment in a few days. In addition, a lactating woman is not even words for what in her organism there has been a failure. When rotavirus infection in nursing mothers occurs in such flattened form, she doesn't even suspect that he is a carrier and can infect babies.
A small child, which of hydrochloric acid in the ventricle very little, when infected will suffer an intestinal infection in the classical form. After a short incubation period, which usually lasts no more than 3 days, there are all the signs of the disease:
- frequent watery stools;
- uncontrollable vomiting;
- high temperature;
- lack of appetite – the baby doesn't want to eat;
- restless behavior – the kid is nervous, which is manifested cry;
- stuffy nose;
- brownish color urine.
If the baby is observed rotavirus, he refuses to eat not just General intoxication, but because of the pain in the throat. The pathogen severely affects the nasal mucosa.
Is it possible to breastfeed the baby if he got sick with rotavirus
The first question, a nursing mother whose child got an intestinal infection, and it is possible to continue breastfeeding when rotavirus? That is a legitimate question, because it is a known fact that this infectious disease is absolutely impossible to consume dairy products, as theycontribute to the reproduction of microorganisms and the aggravation of the situation.
If the baby is breastfed from birth, then to abort this process undesirable. Mother can easily breastfeed your baby during rotavirus infection, as it promotes faster recovery. The arguments in favor of breastfeeding intestinal infection look like this:
- Along with breast milk the baby receives specific antibodies that help in fighting the virus.
- Mother's milk is a great drink to replenish lost fluids.
- Milk enough calories, and then gives the baby the strength to fight with infection.
- Applying to the breast, the baby calms down and falls asleep quickly, and sleep, as you know, a great cure for any disease.
When rotavirus in infants there is sometimes a lack of lactase, which breaks down mother's milk and facilitates its complete assimilation. If such problems occur, the child starts to give a synthetic analogue of that substance which can be purchased at the pharmacy.
If during illness breastfeeding stops, then it is very difficult to restore the previous volume of milk.
Is it possible to breastfeed the baby, if my mom got sick
When the intestinal infection is observed in nursing mothers, some pediatricians, particularly the old school, I advise you to stop breastfeeding and go on a special milk formula. Do not need rotavirus in HS is not sent with the milk, it can be transmitted only with dirty hands, utensils, or by airborne droplets at the beginning of the disease.
Breast milk contains specific antibodies to rotavirus, which will protect your baby from infection. But when breast feeding you must carefully observe hygiene and to wear a gauze bandage, which covers not only the mouth but also the nose. Such measures minimize the risk of infecting the baby.
To abandon breastfeeding should only in the case of the disease in women is heavy and requires the use of antibiotics or other drugs. Although in many cases doctors try to find the nursing mother of such medicines that can be safely combined with guards.
If breastfeeding is stopped at the time of treatment mothers, it is necessary to continuously pump the chest. This will help to maintain lactation in the same volume.
Than treat nursing mom and babies
Special medicine that helped cure rotavirus, no. Therefore, when the disease is assigned symptomatic therapy, which aims to fight with these conditions:
- With dehydration.
- With the loss of electrolytes and vitamins.
- With diarrhea and vomiting.
- With increased body temperature.
Treatment of rotavirus begins with diet. And if the baby is all clear, he continues to be fed breast milk, if nursing ill woman should be respected the following rules:
- It is necessary to observe the abundant drinking regime, while the drink should be sugar-free because this product causes excessive fermentation.
- Mother's diet should be rice porridge on the water.
- From the menu remove an acute and smoked foods with lots of spices.
- You can't eat dairy and dairy products within several days of onset.
All products must uvarivaetsja or prepared on pair, at least some of the dishes can be baked in the oven. Eating fried meat, fish, pies or kebabs unacceptable.
In some cases, when the disease rotavirus infants pediatrician may advise you to replace a few feedings with the milk mixture. This contributes to the population of the digestive tract crumbs with beneficial microorganisms.
When my mother was diagnosed with a rotavirus and breastfeeding continues successfully, it is necessary to observe rigorous hygiene to avoid infecting a young child. Doctors have identified a number of recommendations that minimize the risk of transmission from mother to baby.
- Mommy needs to wash hands thoroughly with soap after using the toilet, before eating, and before feeding the baby or caring for him.
- Desirable during illness to sleep in the same bed with the child.
- Towels and bed linen frequently changed.
- The dishes, from which eats a diseased woman, not simply wash with a special product, but also a rinse with boiling water.
- During breastfeeding mom puts on your face with a clean gauze bandage.
- All surfaces in the home is often cleaned with a disinfectant.
Intestinal infection always cause a lot of trouble to a sick person. But especially hard for a nursing mother that suffers so as not to infect the baby. And though some pediatricians suggest to stop breast-feeding for 3-4 days, this is not necessary, since breast milk has special antibodies that protect your baby from rotavirus.