How to protect your baby from rotavirus
Children – group of the population that are most sensitive to different kinds of infections. Up to three years until the little one goes to kindergarten, viral diseases lie in wait for him less. However, as soon as the child joins the team, he is increasingly subjected to contamination such unpleasant and highly infectious disease such as rotavirus infection. The baby has a fever, stomach pain, starts vomiting and diarrhea. How to protect your child from rotavirus infection and to prevent such reactions?
Survival rates of rotavirus and in what way it is transmitted
Bacteria of the genus Rotavirus have high survival rates. Does not take them literally nothing – no disinfection or boiling or freezing. They feel great and multiply in the bitter cold and exhausting heat, but also long to live in different habitats: the surface of utensils, in water, on food.
While rotavirus infection is very contagious and is spread by the fecal-oral way. If one of the family members is sick, then, as a rule, have been ill all, and especially vulnerable to infection that is newborn as you only need to touch the door handle, which remained the bacteria after touching ill, and infection secured. Adults suffer this disease much easier and take up less often. This is because the body produces antibodies to rotaviruses, however, this immunity is not long retained, especially if the person had been ill once.
How is the disease
On the basis of the high aggressiveness of this genus of bacteria, effective protection against rotavirus simply by purity, impossible. Statistical data show that strict adherence to hygiene standards is not a panacea against infection. One in seven children under five years ill with rotavirus infection, and most of them infants. Kids under years carry the disease in severe form. Primary exposure to rotavirus is considered the most dangerous. The main symptoms of the disease:
- vomiting, nausea, frequent loose stools, abdominal pain;
- red tonsils, high fever, runny nose, sore throat;
- pale skin, dry lips, weakness, exsicosis.
The acute phase of the disease at first shows itself as a cold or sore throat. Child complains of sore throat, followed by vomiting, fever, and then have diarrhea.
The worst consequence of the disease that can cause of death is dehydration, so as babies need to watch most closely, because he can't say that it hurts. Baby you want to protect, and if he got sick, then proceeded to fluster to not upset the water balance.
Sanitary-hygienic measures for the prevention of rotavirus
Outbreaks mainly in autumn and winter. How to protect the baby from infection? Despite the fact that rotavirus infection is spreading at lightning speed, some preventive measures can't hurt, and will help somehow to protect infants from rotavirus:
- Hand wash. From an early age the baby should be accustomed to the fact that after using the toilet and having come home, wash hands with soap and water. The one who from birth is familiar with this rule, will not forget about it for ever. Besides, children love to observe a sequence of actions, so to get to perform the request is not necessary. Enough to constantly wash their hands baby, and very soon he will be pulled to the sink.
- Disinfectant sprays and antibacterial wipes. These hygiene products may not give an absolute guarantee of protection from rotavirus infection, but at least clean the hands – this is the key to health.
- Ventilation and kvartsevanie. If one of the household caught the disease or in the garden have begun to hurt the children, without these measures will not do. If the quartz lamp is not, then as an alternative you can use a diffuser or humidifier. Add into the water several drops of fir or eucalyptus oil will provide the washing of the air in the room and free it from harmful bacteria.
- Wet cleaning. During outbreaks of rotavirus in the room need to get out as often as possible. Dry air and household items contain many microbes that can eliminate regular washing the floor and wiping surfaces. Baby urgently to protect from communicating with the media, so it is better to put him in a separate room.
- Prolonged boiling of clothes and utensils is also one of the preventive measures to protect against rotavirus. To protect against rotavirus, textiles must be ironed – if prolonged exposure to high temperatures, the risk of infection is reduced.
- Thorough washing of vegetables and fruits, drinking only boiled water.
Unfortunately, all of these sanitary measures are considered ineffective in terms of protecting children from rotavirus. They only slightly reduce the risk of infection of intestinal flu. But despite this, those who comply with these rules, sick intestinal infections much less frequently.
More effective preventive measure canto consider breastfeeding. Mother's milk increases the resistance of a small body to infections and can protect against rotavirus. If the mother has been sick, the milk contains antibodies, which can temporarily prevent infection. If the baby is sick, doctors recommend applying it to the breast as often as possible, because it is not only protection from dehydration, but also psychological comfort, which is very important for speedy recovery of the baby.
Effectively to protect themselves from rotavirus is possible only through vaccination. This method is able to neutralize rotavirus and prevent the development of unpleasant symptoms.
Many countries have included this vaccine in the vaccination schedule. Vaccination of infants has reduced the incidence by almost 90%. The vaccination calendar provides for two doses of the drug when the baby is six months of age.
At the moment there are two certified vaccine, which passed clinical trials. Are drugs "Rotarix" (Rotarix) and "Rotate" (RotaTeq). Both the product contains live cells of rotavirus infection is available in the form of drops and is taken by oral route, which is very convenient, especially for vaccination of infants.
At the time of receipt of the vaccine, the baby should be completely healthy, which is checked by our pediatrician immediately prior to vaccination. Despite the obvious benefit, vaccination against rotavirus remains a recommended, but not mandatory.
By what method to protect children against rotavirus, parents decide. It should be remembered that the observance of sanitary regulations and the contents of the baby clean is very important, but still, if confined to such measures, the child will remain vulnerable. Oral taking of rehydratation protects from dehydration, but also reduces the risk of infection rotavirus infection.
The best prevention is vaccination. Only this method will not allow harmful organisms to develop reactions such as diarrhea, vomiting and exsicosis. Breastfeeding does not protect so effectively, however, mother's milk saves us from dehydration and contains antibodies to strains of rotavirus. Immune factors there is lactation, because milk contains sIgA antibodies that can protect baby from any viral infection.