Rotavirus intestinal infection: symptoms and treatment in adults
Rotavirus infection is a type of severe intestinal infection which is caused by rotavirus. This disease is called intestinal or stomach flu, rotavirus gastroenteritis. To be infected by pathogenic microorganism can all people without exception, but particularly at risk are small children up to two years. Infection occurs from the sick person or healthy, but are carriers of the strain. Reproduction occurs in the gastrointestinal tract, where the virus is excreted in the feces. Rotavirus infection in vzrosleet not so heavily as in children, but also requires consultation with an infectious disease doctor.
Ways of infection with intestinal flu
Most people know about the rotavirus infection only after the appearance of the first signs of the disease. In medical statistics the peak incidence occurs in the cold season, roughly from November to April.
The main way of transmission is fecal-oral way, in other words, is an infectious disease – a disease of dirty hands. But sometimes the bacteria are transmitted through water and certain foods. So, the rotavirus replicates well in dairy products, since it has beneficial effects cool, he can live on the products that are in the fridge.
In large children's groups rotavirus disease can manifest severe diarrhea. Have a sick child affects the gastrointestinal tract, which is accompanied by poor digestion and severe dehydration.
The incubation period
The incubation period is the time that has elapsed between the introduction of bacteria into the human body and the appearance of the first signs. This period is very individual, it depends on the General health and immunity. Rotavirus in adults can develop for a couple of hours and a few days.
Since infection in the body and to the full decrease in acute symptoms the person is considered contagious.
The signs of the disease
The symptoms of rotavirus disease in adults may be different. The disease may manifest itself as typical food poisoning, or begin with cold symptoms. Most often the disease begins acutely in children and most adults, the signs look like this:
- There is a runny nose – nasal discharge liquid and transparent, as in rhinitis.
- Pain is felt in the throat, like the flu.
- The person becomes sluggish, lethargic, can begin uncaused depression.
- The body temperature rises, often to high values.
- Starts painful nausea that ends with profuse vomiting.
- After a few hours starts severe diarrhea. Stool liquid, frothy and very foul-smelling.
- No appetite, sore stomach and stomach.
- Maybe the sweats.
The disease can occur without raising the temperature, on the contrary, the body temperature falls below the normal level. When intestinal rotavirus infection in adults symptoms and treatment differ from the disease and therapy in children. In adults the symptoms are often smoothed, thanks to well-established immunities, so many blamed the sickness on a bad diet.
Signs of rotavirus infection in adults is still rumbling stomach, headache and dizziness. There may be dryness of the mucous membranes or discoloration of the skin that usually indicates intoxication and dehydration.
How to treat intestinal flu
First aid for rotavirus is falling ill to avoid dehydration. For this purpose it is better to use pharmaceutical preparations of the type regidrona, but you can give an ordinary drinking – water, decoctions of dried fruits and herbs. It is important to give to drink in small portions and often to not provoke vomiting.
It is impossible for the patient to use otpevanie milk, coffee, strong tea and concentrated juices!
To treat rotavirus in an adult begin after the onset of symptoms, treatment algorithm looks like this:
- Are given drugs to restore the normal functioning of the digestive tract – smectite, enterosgel, bifidobaktery.
- At high temperatures, take antipyretics. You can use the drugs paracetamol or ibuprofen tablets. Use syrups, soluble tablets and powders is undesirable, they contain too many flavors, preservatives and flavor enhancers that bad for a sick stomach.
- Symptomatic therapy aimed at reducing a sore throat and runny nose.
- In agreement with the doctor start taking antiviral and antimicrobial drugs. Take these medications at least 5 days.
Treatment with antibiotics for rotavirus infection effectively, so apply them should not be. Antibiotic therapy in this disease will lead to dysbiosis, but to cure the virus will not.
Which drugs can be applied
List of drugs than to treat the stomach flu, is quite extensive. These include adsorbents, probiotics, enzymes, antiviral and antimicrobial drugs, and antipyretics, nasal drops and pills for sore throat:
- Adsorbents –APSCO, smectite, Polisorb, enterosgel. You can use any drug that is home. If there is anything suitable, we take an ordinary activated carbon, which is accepted according to the annotation. Smectite good to take if severe diarrhea.
- Probiotics to repopulate the intestinal tract with beneficial microorganisms to the patient prescribe lineks, hilak.
- Antiviral drugs for rotavirus is usually prescribed Viferon or citovir, but you can use the doctor.
- Antimicrobial agents – are assigned to suppress pathogenic microflora in the intestines. Most often, treatment for enterofuryl or anteroom.
- Enzyme preparations for the restoration of the pancreas the patient was prescribed a festal, Kreon or misim.
- Antihistamines – if the person is prone to allergic reactions, you doctor may prescribe Allergy medication. These include loratadine, suprastin, side effects of the drug, claritin.
We must remember that the oral infection in adults can be easy and very hard, so treatment selects infectious disease physician based on the severity of the disease and General condition of the patient. If the disease is mild, the treatment can be conducted in the normal home, if the human condition is deteriorating, need urgent hospitalization in infectious Department.
While rotavirus infection is not to self-medicate, as this may lead to serious consequences!
Treatment in a hospital
Treatment in a hospital environment focused on the rapid removal of toxins from the body and prevent dehydration. In addition, supportive therapy for the cardiovascular system. Treatment Protocol looks like this:
- The patient takes a number of tests for laboratory tests – urine, blood, vomit, feces. Identification of the pathogen helps to direct adequate treatment and, therefore, quickly person to cure.
- Intravenous glucose and saline to prevent dehydration and quickly remove the symptoms of intoxication.
- If the patient has fever, prescribe injection of fever-reducing medications. For adult patients this may be paracetamol, dipyrone or ibuprofen. When the fever, these medications are combined with vasodilators.
- Assigned adsorbents and regidron.
- If broken, the heart that is manifested by unstable pressure, chest pain, and weakness, shows the assignment of heart medication and vitamins.
The condition of the victim can be so severe that he falls into unconsciousness and is breathing. In this case, be resuscitation.
Diet during the recovery period
Fast recovery from intestinal infection depends on the diet in the first days after decrease acute symptoms. The diet of the patient should be light and healthy food with a high content of vitamins and minerals. Basic list of foods that you can eat and drink to the patient during the rehabilitation period, as follows:
- Fruit jellies, compotes, decoctions of raisins and dried apricots, tea with honey.
- The second broth from lean meats. Can be boiled veal or chicken, without skins. Meat bring to a boil, then the water is drained, pour new water and boil until tender.
- Oatmeal in the water. For preparation, you can take buckwheat, rice or oatmeal. Pre-ground grits, rinsed and long boil in sufficient amount of water is supposed to be a mess of shit.
- Vegetable purees. For it take the potatoes and carrots, can be cooked separately or together.
- Boiled chicken breast. Chicken, boiled in broth, crushed with a small addition of broth. It turns out a kind of paste, which is consumed in its pure form or added to mashed potatoes.
- Baked apples. Take the green varieties of Apple, cut out the stalk, covered with sugar and bake until tender.
- Well ripe bananas. If the fruit is green areas, there is a minute dip the bananas in boiling water to neutralize the starch that is in unripe products.
Diet during rotavirus infection should be well balanced to the gastrointestinal tract is not severely strained by food processing. In the recovery period need to reduce the consumption of carbohydrates and fats.
What not to eat during rotavirus infection
Intestinal flu is not recommended to eat dairy products, as milk and its derivatives, bacteria breed well. It is not necessary to offer the victim the cabbage of all kinds, cucumbers and legumes that cause severe bloating of the intestine and lead to severe inflammation.
Removed from the diet of confectionery, especially cakes with yeast. Do not eat citrus fruits, pomegranates and pears.
Some doctors suggest recovery in limited quantities to consume dark chocolate for a quick recovery. But it can be done only with the consent of the doctor and in good General health.
Absolutely impossible to feed the patient with rotavirus infection, grilled and smoked foods. The digestive tract and liver after an illness very weak, and for them such foodis a big load.
What not to do in case of intestinal flu
To quickly cure rotavirus enteric infection in children and adults, should follow these recommendations:
- For the treatment of rotavirus cannot be used antibacterial drugsthat will not only improve the condition, but can lead to a concomitant persistent infection.
- You can't force the patient is forced. Nothing bad will happen if people starve for about a day. This contributes to the rapid withdrawal of toxic substances from the body and relieve inflammation of the stomach and intestines.
- You can not give the victim alcohol-containing beverages. This will lead to greater irritation of the gastric mucosa and severe intoxication.
If you suspect rotavirus infection should not be washed at home, the stomach sick, or trying to artificially induce vomiting. These actions recovery will not bring, but dehydration can cause.
Folk recipes for the treatment of rotavirus
Traditional medicine offers several effective prescriptions that can be applied in young children and adults. Preferably before you use these recipes to consult with your health care providerto avoid unpleasant surprises.
For many years the people use the means that can be taken by children and adults. Take a teaspoon of cinnamon and mix with a teaspoon of powder from the bark of the elm. Fourth of a teaspoon resolves in the mouth before each meal. For Teens and adults in the mix can add a little red pepper.
St. John's wort
The herb St. John's wort helps to quickly recover from rotavirus infection. To prepare the broth take a tablespoon of vegetable raw materials and a glass of water, bring to the boil and infuse for 20 minutes.
Then the broth strain through several layers of gauze and add a Cup of boiled water. Drink broth of a third of a Cup up to 3 times a day one hour before meals. Store drug in the refrigerator for no more than two days.
Treatment with St. John's wort absolutely contraindicated in children up to 3 years. Older children can be treated by this remedy only after consulting a pediatrician.
For the treatment of intestinal flu only use dried fruitsbecause fresh can increase diarrhea. Dried berries are boiled, stewed fruits, which normalize work of intestines.
The evening primrose used for strong and debilitating diarrhea. Brew a tablespoon of plant material in 300 ml of water, then insist, strain and drink several times a day. Children appoint 1 teaspoon of broth, and adults drink 1 tablespoon.
In addition to these recipes, the traditional healers of folk medicine is recommended to give the patient a decoction of rice with raisins, apples or apricots. To do this, take a liter of pure water, add a tablespoon of rice and a tablespoon of raisins (dried apricots), boiled on a slow fire about half an hour, for 10 minutes before end of cooking add a few slices of green Apple. The broth is cooled and filtered, giving the patient frequent, small meals.
Especially the treatment of rotavirus infection in pregnant and lactating
If rotavirus disease is diagnosed in a pregnant woman, then treatment should be given with great caution, as many drugs penetrate the placental barrier and adversely affect the fetus. This is especially true of enzymatic and antiviral medicines that are prescribed only if the potential benefit to the mother outweighs the possible risk to the unborn child.
The disease takes easily treated in the home, in compliance with all recommendations of the attending physician. If the condition of the pregnant woman's heavy, it urgently delivered in medical institution.
When the intestinal is sick with the flu nursing mom, breastfeeding is stopped until recovery motherto avoid infection. Treatment of rotavirus infection is carried out according to the usual Protocol, with the use of antimicrobial and antiviral drugs.
Pregnant women can start taking medicines only after consultation with the treating obstetrician. Only a specialist can assess all the risks to mother and fetus.
The consequences of rotavirus infection
For a person with good health and immunity to the rotavirus is not dangerous. But complications can deliver a lot of trouble, and sometimes lead to death. The most serious complication is severe dehydration, which can cause malfunctions in work of organs and systems:
- Kidneys are failing.
- Thickens the blood.
- There are failures in the work of the heart.
- Disrupted nervous system.
- Disturbed blood supply to brain cells.
Intestinal flu like any other infection weakens the immunity of the person, so often with attendant problems. Start fungal diseases, hair falls out and develop chronic diseases of the digestive tract.
In order not to dangerous complications should immediately contact to the doctor as soon as you develop the first symptoms of rotavirus. Onlya qualified doctor can properly diagnose and prescribe adequate treatment.
How to prevent rotavirus
Prevention of rotavirus infections in adults and children is in compliance with the rules of hygiene. To protect from the disease and their loved ones is a snap if you follow these points:
- Buy and eat only fresh and quality products, which are purchased at specified locations.
- Vegetables, fruits and berries thoroughly washed with running water, and then pour over boiling water.
- Buy milk products only of trusted manufacturers, be sure to look at package integrity and shelf life.
- Wash your hands frequently, especially after using the toilet or the street.
- If the children's team there are cases of disease, isolate sick children, and for the rest of the watch.
Some doctors offer to be vaccinated against rotavirus. But we cannot say that this is a panacea for ills. Full effectiveness of the vaccine has not been proved, as it appeared recently. In addition, it is not in all medical institutions, and the price is quite high. It is more logical to follow the normal rules of hygiene, and then rotavirus infection is definitely don't threaten.