Poisonous sumac: description and beneficial properties of plants
Poisonous sumac is a woody climbing shrub. It has many forms – tree, shrub, Liana. The leaves also differ in appearance – oval with smooth or toothed edges. Places of greatest spread of poison ivy – all of Asia, North and South America.
The leaves of the plant contain an oily toxin – urushiol. Upon contact with the skin it causes an allergic response inflammatory blistering nature. The skin at the site of contact of the toxin become red, inflamed. After a while blisters with clear content. This process has a strict localization and does not apply to other areas. Symptoms may occur immediately or some time later. It depends on the human immune system and the toxicity of the Bush.
The chemical composition of sumac
The composition of the poison oak are included as toxic substances, and useful. Each species has its own characteristics, but there are substances that invariably are part of all representatives of the plant.
The leaves of the sumach representatives present urushiol – it's oily toxin of organic origin, which causes contact dermatitis. In appearance, the venom is a yellow liquid, insoluble in water.
Urushiol contains pyrokinetic is a chemical, phenol, which is in contact with the skin and mucous membranes causes severe irritation. If the poison is in contact with the eye membrane, it leads to severe redness, tearing. When the penetration of the toxin into the upper respiratory tract of a person develops a local inflammatory reaction, fever and prolonged coughing. Phenol of pyrokinetic is a strong allergen, which has carcinogenic and mutagenic properties.
Poison sumac, in addition to hazardous compounds contains nutrients that allow you to use it for medicinal purposes:
- Antioxidants regulate oxidative processes in the body contribute to its biological renewal of cells and their division. They also participate in energy processes and synthesis of hormones and other biologically important substances. Antioxidants prevent the development of neurological and cardiovascular diseases, stop the aging process.
- Ascorbic acid or vitamin C is extremely important for the normal functioning of bone and connective tissue, regulates metabolic processes in the body. Its main functions increase the protective forces of the immune system, enhances tissue regeneration, strengthens the vascular wall.
- Omega-3 creates a powerful immune-inflammatory response of the body (wounds heal quickly, regenerate tissue) contributes to the normal function of internal organs, keeps the DNA of cells, prolonging their life cycle.
- Vegetable proteins – the basis of body cells, do not contain cholesterol. Are the building blocks for muscle, bone, skin. Contain fiber, so beneficial to the state of the digestive system and the uptake of nutrients.
- Trace elements – calcium (Ca), magnesium (Mg), potassium (K), phosphorus (P).
Use of raw sumac in medicine
In the study of plant pharmacists discovered he had useful properties for the human body. It relieves inflammation in the acute stage and a chronic indolent processes. Has devastating effects on fungal and bacterial (Salmonella) microflora, and delays the ageing processes of cells.
Dedicated poison oak extract is used externally in form of ointments and tinctures for rubbing with colds, the treatment of wounds. Also from the plant extract tannin and tannin – powder with anti-inflammatory and astringent properties. On its basis, produce such drugs:
- Medical tannin (powder) for the preparation of aqueous solutions: 1% – rinse the oral cavity inflammatory processes, 3-5% – treatment of the skin, trophic ulcers, cracks, of 0.5 % of gastric lavage.
- Ointment 5-10% – is used for application to the skin in rheumatoid arthritis.
- Protivogemorroidalnyj candles "Neo-Claimant" – spasms, has analgesic effects, contribute to the resorption of the inflammatory process.
- Liquid Novikov – antiseptic, 4% alcohol solution for disinfection of minor abrasions, cracks and other mechanical damage of the skin. By the formation of protective film of the drug prevents the invasion of infection in the wound surface.
- Tonalin – contains no more than 5% of tannin has astringent effect. Available in powder form for oral administration in the gastroenteritis and chronic inflammation of the colon.
The main indications for treatment sumac – rheumatism with the defeat of the joints, neuralgia, sciatica. Rubbing is indicated for colds. Dermatological prescribed ointment fungal infections of the skin.
Sumac is not used in folk medicine to prepare dosage forms. Even a slight excess of the permissible doses of plant components will lead to severe poisoning and intoxication at local and General level.
In some cases, sumac contraindicated
Medications from sumac temporarily appoint patients with a high temperature.
External use is contraindicated in solutionsexpressed infectious skin lesions – abscess, phlegmon. Also the drug is not used in the neurodermatitis, psoriasis. Are drugs poison ivy in moist areas of the skin – eczema, weeping shingles.
Drugs can't be used for bleeding wounds, with the blood clotting.
Prolonged treatment and the drug into, for example, in chronic colitis, may experience persistent irritation of the intestine with malabsorption mucous. This leads to a shortage of vitamins and minerals. The consumption of poison ivy may develop iron deficiency and, consequently, anemia.
Local side effects are manifested in the form of burning of the area where it is applied drug.
Poisonous sumac when in contact with skin causes severe discomfort. These unpleasant feelings can be reduced if applied to skin cold (ice cubes). If there is absolute certainty that the contact occurred with this plant, at the site of the lesion need to put the cloth soaked in alcohol.
The toxin will partially dissolve in ethanol and will reduce its concentration. When hit poison on their mucous membranes should be thoroughly rinsed with clean water for 10-15 minutes. Clothes exposed to the plant, is subjected to washing synthetic powders or dry cleaning.