Salmonellosis in dogs: symptoms and treatment
Salmonellosis refers to diseases of an infectious nature, caused by the bacteria group Salmonella. The disease is very difficult, often with lesions of the digestive tract and respiratory system. Adult dogs this disease and rarely get sick in the form of light, as they have well-developed immune system, but puppies and young dogs are at risk. Salmonellosis in dogs dangerous to humans – it is easily transmitted. Infection may cause severe intoxication of the organism and can lead to death.
Sources of infection
Infected animals excrete Salmonella in large numbers with the feces. A healthy individual can be infected by eating food, which is thermally not processed by the agent. In addition, the source of the disease can become small rodents that are carriers of a pathogenic agent. There are cases of fetal infection, in rare cases, infection occurs through airborne droplets.
Most susceptible to salmonellosis dogs with a weakened immune system due to prolonged infectious diseases or diseases of a General nature.
Forms of salmonellosis in dogs
Share three forms of this infectious disease in dogs:
- The acute form is characterized by fever, deterioration of General condition of the animal. The dog becomes lethargic, she is completely no appetite. Can join vomiting and diarrhea, often streaked with blood. If a bitch becomes infected during pregnancy, probable miscarriages and the death of puppies in the first few days.
- Subacute form – the disease is more relaxed and resembles gastroenteritis. Possible disorders of the respiratory system such as cough, wheezing, bronchitis. Can start chronic jaundice due to poor liver function.
- The chronic form is characterized by a General depletion of the dog, sometimes there can be vomiting and diarrhea, there is a chronic cough. Abdominal palpation painful and a little swollen.
For an exact diagnosis using laboratory methods – clinical blood test for detection of the pathogen and possible antibodies, urine and feces, and vomit.
Common symptoms of salmonellosis
Symptoms of salmonellosis in dogs can be of different nature, but they should alert the host:
- increase temperature to high values.
- diarrhea with flecks of blood;
- uncontrollable vomiting;
- lack of appetite, the dog refuses to even favorite treats;
- the development of diseases of the upper and lower respiratory tract;
- disorders of the Central nervous system;
- yellowing on the membranes of the mouth and nose, in acute liver damage;
- in pregnant bitches miscarriages at different stages.
The signs of the disease may occur together or appear gradually.
Treatment of salmonellosis in dogs
For the treatment of infectious disease using different groups of medicines. Treatment Protocol looks like this:
- The dog is prescribed a strict diet. All food should be easily digestible, with a high content of vitamins and minerals.
- At the initial stage of the disease, you can apply anti-toxic serum, which is produced based on the type of the pathogen, as well as immunoglobulins of different species.
- Antibiotics of different groups – penicillin, cephalosporins, levomycetin, streptomycin, gentamicin. Medication and course of treatment chosen by the veterinary doctor based on the type of pathogen and the General condition of the dog.
- If you get diarrhoea with blood any prescribed sulfa drugs.
- Effective methods of treatment are therapeutic enemas. They are dogs with solutions of nitrofurans several times a day. The volume of the solution at one time may be from 50 ml to 500 ml, depending on the size and weight of the animal.
- Often give the dog to drink. Add or furatsilina, potassium permanganate until light in colour.
- If there is disease complications in inflammatory diseases of the respiratory tract, the course of treatment add expectorants and antispasmodics.
During treatment, the dog must be kept in a comfortable environment. Food need fresh and natural. Not recommended in the diet of a sick animal artificial feed.
In the room where contains infected salmonellosis dog, you need frequent damp cleaning with application of disinfectants.
Nutrition of the animal during the period of rehabilitation
A major role in the healing process of the dog, after salmonellosis plays diet food. In the first days after the acute onset of the disease the dog can not feed, can only be given to drink. The power is carried out by intravenous way, with the help of specialized medicines. After days of fasting gradually, in divided portions is administered food. You can use the following products:
- lean meats – lean beef, veal, chicken, horse meat;
- enveloping cereal – rice, oats, buckwheat. Cooked in porridges with a large addition of water and strong boiling;
- boiled vegetables – zucchini, beets, carrots. Can be crushed and added to porridge;
- dairy products – low fat bifidokefir, low-fat cottage cheese,cocoa in milk diluted with water;
- boiled chicken eggs.
A week after stabilizing the General condition of the four-legged friend you can enter in the diet of fresh foods – meat and liver. They improve the secretion of the gastrointestinal tract and contribute to the development of enzymes. The quality of all products offered sick dog, should be abolished. You can't give stale food and dry food, which mechanically injure the already inflamed stomach.
A recovering animal can not give food from the master's table, it has too much spices, preservatives and fats.
Prevention of salmonellosis in dogs
Salmonellosis in dogs cannot be prevented by vaccination. The puppy or adult dog is not infected with this infection, it is necessary to strictly observe the rules of hygiene. If you give the dog raw meat, there must be absolute confidence that it does not contain Salmonella, otherwise it better have a good boil.
When the pet in the family not one, but several, required to comply with these precautions:
- From time to time to pass the animal tests for the carriage of the infectious agent.
- Thoroughly disinfect all household animals.
- To prevent the emergence of rodents and harmful insects in the house, they can also be carriers of the infection.
- At the time of the care for dogs to wear special clothing set, which is then a good disinfect.
If you suspect Salmonella pet immediately needs to see a vet who will put an accurate diagnosis and prescribe appropriate treatment. To self-medicate the diseases, it can lead to death.