Diarrhea and vomiting in cats: what to do at home
Diarrhea and vomiting in cats can develop for many reasons. They may indicate poisoning or disease of the digestive system or other organs. If a cat has diarrhea and vomiting what to do at home? When should you call the vet and what might be the cause of these symptoms?
The main reasons for the development of symptoms
Vomiting and diarrhea your whiskered pet may be caused a huge number of pathological conditions. This acute poisoning, and disease or chronic processes in the body.
The following are the main reasons that a cat may vomit, and diarrhea:
- Food poisoning that develops as a result of eating poor quality or spoiled food. Expired food, rotting meat can cause these symptoms.
- Poison. It could be rat poison or chemicals. A cat can be poisoned from eating the mouse.
- Worm infestation. Helminths, which are parasitic in the intestines can cause diarrhea.
- Acute or chronic pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas that develops as a result of a violation of the diet). For example, after eating fatty meats or poultry. Cats absolutely contraindicated pork and rich meat broths.
- Obstruction of the small or large intestine resulting from ingestion of some foreign body. It can be a toy, a bag, a cotton Bud cotton wool etc.
- Cancer of the tumor, which develops as a result of severe intoxication. Tumors of the digestive tract can cause obstruction.
- Diseases of the digestive system (gastritis, peptic ulcer, colitis).
- Viral diseases in cats can also exhibit irregular bowel movement, nausea and vomiting.
- Acute renal failure, which develops severe intoxication.
- The kitten diarrhea and vomiting can be triggered by early weaning from breast milk. He still needs breast feeding, as digestive system can not digest food of adult animals. In two months, the kitten can be gradually translated into the power feed.
Please note that occasional vomiting for cats is normal. With vomiting cats cleanse your stomach from swallowed during washing of wool. This process carries a danger to the health of the animal.
What to do with the development of diarrhea and vomiting in cats
Yourself to treat their Pets dangerous. Without clarifying the exact causes of diarrhoea and vomiting it is impossible to determine how to treat an animal.
Remember that independently appoint and to give cats medication is forbidden! Not all human medications are allowed.
With the appearance of vomiting and diarrhea should be to deliver your pet to the nearest veterinary clinic, especially if you suspect poisoning poisonous substance.
If the symptoms developed during the night and you have no way to immediately take your pet to the clinic, start their own to assist him. It can't replace a trip to the vet, it still should be treated as soon as it opens veterinary clinic.
Before going to the vet should:
- Remove all the bowl of food. When vomiting animal shows hunger. Since you don't know what exactly caused the symptoms, do not risk to feed him.
- Try to cause a gag reflex in cats. This can quickly injected her with a syringe (without a needle) into the mouth with 10-15 ml of water, and then finger pressure on the tongue.
- To make the cat an enema with plain water. For its implementation you will need a small pear with a volume of 50 ml. an Enema can be repeated several times, until clean water. Please note that no herb or medication to add to the enema impossible!
- Give your cat activated charcoal. For a kitten you will need a quarter pill, for adult cats – half. Crumble a necessary part of the tablet and mix with 5 ml of water. Then give the cat to drink this water with a sorbent through a syringe.
The more you yourself can't help your pet. As soon as possible, take him to the appointment with the vet.
How to determine the cause of the symptoms
You should carefully describe the symptoms the vet who was a cat, her diet for the past days and the amount of assistance that you have provided to the animal in the home. The doctor will examine the cat and determine her pulse rate, blood pressure, body temperature. To establish an accurate diagnosis and early etiological treatment may require a detailed examination of the animal, which consists of a number of diagnostic techniques, described below.
- General full blood count. This study allows to reveal the following pathology:
- the presence of helminths (worms);
- bacterial or viral infection;
- cancer in the body;
- The General analysis of urine, which helps to detect kidney damage.
- The analysis of a feces on eggs of worms.
- Biochemical analysis of blood, which is necessary to determine the state of the kidneys, pancreas and liver.
- Ultrasound examination (ultrasound) of internal organs – is performed to diagnose pancreatitis, hepatitis, pathology of the gallbladderand kidney diseases.
- Radiography of the intestine, which is shown in intestinal obstruction.
Not all veterinary clinics are equipped with x-ray equipment and ultrasound machine. If necessary, the veterinarian can refer you to for these tests in another clinic.
What is the treatment for vomiting and diarrhea
After establishing the cause of symptoms, the vet prescribes treatment. Depending on the cause of the disease, it can be surgical or medical.
Surgery is indicated if:
- intestinal obstruction;
- malignant neoplasm.
In all other situations conducted conservative treatment. If the animal is in a serious condition, it can leave in the veterinary clinic on the hospital, in stable condition the doctor appoints treatment and tells you how often you need to bring the cat to the clinic for injections and IVS.
During treatment, the cat is assigned to a strict diet. It is best to supply animal feed suitable therapeutic premium class (Royal, Hills, Advance). If the owners can't afford such a diet, the doctor paints they are allowed products. As a rule, is assigned a twisted, boiled chicken and oatmeal.
At the clinic the animal are intravenousthrough which are injected drugs and fluids to prevent dehydration.
Animal homes need to actively drink. The optimal volume of fluid for the cat on the first day after vomiting and diarrhea is 5 ml every hour.
Vomiting and diarrhea in cats can be symptoms of acute poisoning, intestinal obstruction, worms, or diseases of the internal organs, cancer tumors. The treatment is carried out by a veterinarian after a thorough examination of the animal. It could be surgical or conservative. Self cat, which had diarrhoea and vomiting can lead to death.