Poisoning dogs isoniazid: symptoms, treatment
Isoniazid (tubazid) is a drug which is widely used by TB specialists for treatment of tuberculosis. It is available in tablets. Since 2003 it is used by the hunters for the mass extermination of dogs. For animals isoniazid is deadly. In this article, we examined in detail the causes of poisoning dogs isoniazid, symptoms, possible complications, the rules of rendering first aid and components of treatment.
Causes of isoniazid poisoning in dogs
Isoniazid is often used by people who do not like dogs and want them to death (hunters). These knackers decompose the poisonous product away walking of domestic dogs in areas frequented by homeless people, stray animals. Tablets can be added to pieces of meat or bread. Even a pet can eat such poison.
Please note that the poisoning with isoniazid may occur in the home, in families where someone is drug treatment of tuberculosis. This drug is toxic to dogs and cats. These animals have no specific enzyme, which could neutralize and excrete the drugs.
There are cases when the authorities of some cities led the mass baiting dogs isoniazid. The wipers were distributed poison, they were put in places of a congestion of animals. The question of criminal punishment of hunters are very relevant in our time. The number of killers animals is growing every year, and only careful monitoring of your pet during walks on the street can protect him from poisoning with this pesticide.
The main symptoms of isoniazid poisoning in a dog
Isoniazid, getting into the dog's stomach, quickly absorbed and acts on all organs and systems, affecting primarily the brain. The first clinical manifestations of the disease develop within 30 minutes and sometimes two hours.
Please note that the rate of rise of the symptoms of isoniazid toxicity depends on the weight of the dog and the amount ingested drug. For dogs lethal dosage is 50 mg per 1 kg of body weight. Pills tubazid, or isoniazid, 300 mg. produced a Few tablets can be fatal for the animal.
Doganieri enclose isoniazid for dogs, usually in large doses. Their goal is the death of dogs of all weight categories. In order to quickly recognize the toxicity of this drug and to take appropriate action, you need to focus in the clinical manifestations of poisoning. The following are the main symptoms that may indicate the use of a dog isoniazid.
- Violation of coordination of movements. The animal can hit the corners don't fit in doorways, fell on its side, to deviate to the side when walking. Such deviations caused by the influence of the poison on the cerebellum – the center of the nervous system responsible for motor coordination.
- The dog becomes sleepy. She sluggishly responds to the voice of the host, falls asleep on the go. Her condition is due to lesions of the Central nervous system. 30 minutes after the use of isoniazid pet begins to boot, first, falls into a stupor and then deep coma.
- Increased secretion of saliva. She literally begins to flow from the mouth of the animal may foam. Also you may notice watery eyes.
- Abundant and repeated vomiting. In the vomit, you can see the slime, food residue and bile.
- Convulsions, which apply to all groups of skeletal muscles of the dog. They resemble an epileptic seizure. The dog tosses back his head, stretched forward legs. The seizure lasts 15-20 seconds, can result in the discharge of feces and urine.
- Respiratory failure. In the early manifestations of the disease in dogs occurs shortness of breath, rapid breathing. With the progression of the poisoning, the pet begins to breathe slowly and superficially.
First aid for poisoning by isoniazid
In cases of poisoning with isoniazid the owner very little time to rescue your pet. You should act quickly and resolutely, absolutely not to panic. First aid is provided by the pet owner. Afterwards the dog should be immediately taken to veterinary clinic.
The introduction of the antidote in cases of poisoning by isoniazid
Saving a pet might just a quick introduction antidote - vitamin B6 (pyridoxine). If you have a dog, get this medicine to its introduction. You need to take with you even while walking. If the dog will eat the poison on the street and while walking to lose consciousness, you may not have time to bring her home or to the nearest veterinary clinic.
Remember that vitamin B6, or pyridoxine, is not dangerous to dogs. Even if you accidentally inject more than is necessary, or the dog that was poisoned with isoniazid, nothing bad will happen.
The dosage is calculated simply by taking 1 ml per 5 kg of dog's weight. The antidote will work faster if you inject it intravenously, but such manipulation can only be done by a veterinarian, so put the medicine in the dog intramuscularly. In the mouth pour is meaningless.
Immediately after drug administration the seizures will stop and will start to recover breath. In severe poisoning, the dog may recover in just a fewhours after administration of the antidote.
If so happened that you have no vitamin B6 at hand, immediately take the dog to the veterinary clinic.
The introduction of the antidote is only the first part of the first aid. After carrying out the injection to begin gastric lavage. With its help it is possible to bring the remains of the poison from the stomach, which has not yet managed to get into the blood and act.
Remember that gastric lavage is only animals that are conscious, if the dog is lethargic, drowsy, not responding to external stimuli, pour her something in the mouth is prohibited, it can choke.
In order to wash out the stomach of the dog, you'll need a syringe 20 ml without needle or children's enema in the form of a pear with a volume of 50-100 ml. the Animal must enter into the jaws of plain water at room temperature, 100-250 ml (more than the weight of the dog, the more you enter the water), then induce vomiting. This can be done by pushing your thumb on the tongue of the animal, or poured it on the tongue a pinch of salt.
Not to be used for irrigation of the gastric cavity a solution of potassium permanganate. This substance can cause burning of the mucous membrane of the digestive tract, and poisoning. Benefit from its use no. Plain water is not less effective and is absolutely safe for the health of the animal.
These substances indispensable in the event of any poisoning. Due to their structure and properties they bind, neutralize and excrete with the feces toxins located in the stomach or the intestine.
If you are a dog owner, ask veterinary doctor to calculate the individual dose of sorbent for your pet in case of poisoning.
Please note that dosages all varieties of drugs in this group differ from each other, but at home it is best to store the exact medication, the dosage which you have calculated the doctor.
For the treatment of dogs can be used in human or veterinary sorbents. To enter they should be using a syringe without a needle into the jaws of the dog.
Further treatment of poisoning by isoniazid
After rendering first aid poisoned the dog should be immediately taken to veterinary clinic. The doctor will examine, will carry out the necessary examination and prescribe further treatment. It will be aimed at addressing the complications and negative effects from isoniazid.
Animals in critical condition can leave in-patient treatment (if the clinic offers this service). Dogs in stable condition introduces the necessary preparations and signs of further treatment, the diet, given the date of next visit to the vet.
Components of treatment are described later.
Diet and drinking regime
Diet is needed to restore the liver, pancreas and digestive tract. All components of the diet, the duration of the compliance is discussed with a veterinarian. In this article, we present only General data, which cannot take into account individual characteristics of the animal
On the first day after poisoning the dog shows the full hunger. You can drink only plain water.
Then for several weeks, the animal's diet should consist of the following products:
- rice or oatmeal cooked in plain water. Broth to cook them for a sick animal;
- boiled lean meat of chicken or beef. The best meat shredded and mixed with porridge;
- the special food of the premium class designed for the diet after food poisoning.
Feed the dog during the observance of diet should often, every 2-3 hours. Single serving should be less than those normally eats the animal.
During the diet the animal should not be given broths, canned food, bones, fat and raw meat, dairy products.
All medications, their dosage and frequency of reception of the appointed veterinarian. The first time you may want to come to the clinic for IVS and injections. Then, after the improvement of the health of the pet, treatment can be performed at home.
The animal is prescribed sorbents, enzymes, drugs that regulate the functioning of the liver and kidneys.
Examination of dogs after poisoning with isoniazid
For diagnosis, objective assessment of the patient's condition and identify complications in the internal organs of the dog may be prescribed an examination, which consists of laboratory and instrumental techniques. With its help, you can choose the right treatment.
The list of diagnostic methods that may be required in cases of poisoning with isoniazid, is listed next.
- General complete blood count helps to detect the presence of acute inflammation in the body, hemolysis, anemia. According to his figures, we can calculate the degree of dehydration. Also, General analysis is important in diagnosis.
- Urinalysis done to rule out kidney damage, violation of their excretory capacity. Isoniazid may lead to acute or chronic renal failure.
- Biochemical analysis of blood is needed to diagnose the state of the liver, kidneys, pancreas, electrolytes in the blood. Based on these indicators are selected medication.
- Ultrasound examination of the internal organs allows the physician to examine the liver, gallbladder,kidneys and pancreas.
The scope of ongoing studies also depends on the technical equipment and capabilities of the clinic where you are being treated. If necessary, you may be poison to another place for an ultrasound or tests.
How to protect your dog
Dogs that we get are our best friends and full family members. It is very important to know how they can be protected from the hunters and poisoning isoniazid. Below, we have gathered for you the guidelines that will help preserve the life of your dog.
- Since childhood autocyte your pet to pick up something from the ground. It is best to visit with him a school for dogs. There are professionals will provide him the basics of behavior and teach you to train your pet.
- It is best to walk your dog in the muzzle. Only this device will provide guaranteed protection from accidental ingestion by a dog infected with isoniazid food.
- In any case, consult your vet about dosage for your dog vitamin B6 and sorbents. Wear while walking in the bag vitamin B6 and syringe for injection. Also the home kit should always keep some kind of sorbent, a children's enema "pear", a syringe for 20 ml.
- Follow the news and communicate with people who live in your area. If the district began to appear cases of poisoning of dogs, increase alertness for a pet during a walk.
- If in your family someone is treated with isoniazid, keep this medication kept out of reach of the animal. Despite the fact that this drug was invented more than half a century ago, it remains one of the most effective against Bacillus (Mycobacterium tuberculosis).
Lately the isoniazid is widely used by hunters for the mass extermination of Pets and street dogs. This drug is toxic to dogs and cats, as they have not produced an enzyme that can neutralize it. If during the first minutes after appearance of the first symptoms of poisoning in dogs she did not enter the antidote, vitamin B6, it in 100% of cases will die. After the introduction of antitoxin the animal should wash out the stomach, to drink sorbents and to rush to the veterinary clinic. Only the proper upbringing of a dog wearing a muzzle can protect your pet from accidental poisoning by isoniazid.