Poisoning tomatoes: symptoms and treatment
The tomatoes are very tasty and healthy. Based on them, a large number of dishes and sauces, they make the juices. Almost all know about the benefits and rich vitamin content of these vegetables and try to add them to your daily diet. But not all tomatoes are good, not all of them should be eaten. In this article, we discussed the reasons that may develop poisoning tomatoes, its clinical signs and methods of treatment.
Which can cause tomato poisoning
Harmful tomatoes? These vegetables are useful and safe for a person only with proper cultivation, storage and cooking. Poisoned them for many reasons, some of them are listed below:
- Processing tomatoes chemicals during cultivation. It could be nitrates, pesticides, chemical fertilizers. They are used to accelerate the growth of plants and to protect them from diseases and pests. Especially dangerous are the early tomatoes, in a laboratory analysis, they usually reveal a huge amount of nitrates.
- Poor washing tomatoes before eating can cause the ingestion of dangerous microorganisms.
- Cooking of tomatoes to people, suffering from an intestinal infection. Through dirty hands they can make meals contagious and dangerous. In catering establishments, you can catch E. coli, salmonellosis, dysentery.
- Eating spoiled and rotten tomatoes. Improper or prolonged storage in these vegetables multiply putrefactive bacteria that can cause poisoning.
Remember that even safe and high quality tomatoes can harm humans. They are not in some diseases of the digestive system in allergic intolerance. If after the use of these vegetables you begin to notice deterioration in his condition, the appearance of heartburn, stomach pain or itchy rash, contact your doctor.
Symptoms of poisoning
Is it possible to recognize the poisoning tomatoes in the early stages? Usually, this disease develops very quickly. For the first 2-3 hours start to show clinical symptoms of food poisoninginclude:
- pain in the abdomen and attacks of intestinal colic. These symptoms were caused by the meteorism and increased flatulence;
- nausea and vomiting. Vomit may contain undigested remains of tomatoes.
- diarrhea or loose stools.
- headache and General weakness.
Intoxicated with nitrate or pesticides may increase the temperature of the body. The patient has severe intoxication. Develops tachycardia, falling blood pressure. You may experience breathing problems, appear shortness of breath, paleness of the skin. In severe cases, with convulsions and impaired consciousness.
Please note that severity of symptoms correlated with the amount eaten. Well if you really want to add in food of potentially dangerous early tomatoes, use half vegetable. This amount would be enough to give the dish a freshness and flavor and not enough for the development of acute nitrate intoxication.
What to do in cases of poisoning by tomatoes
Tomato toxicity can be dangerous for the human body. Nitrates and pesticides, which can provoke a negative impact on many organs and structures. When the first symptoms of poisoning tomatoes should call the ambulance. To assess the severity of the patient's condition and to treat only the doctors.
Remember that you should not self-medicate and to endanger the patient's life. All the tips and advice, read on the Internet and heard from neighbors can not replace qualified medical assistance.
Before arrival of physicians proceed to self-provision of first aid. To do this:
- To clean the stomach cavity from the remnants of low-quality tomatoes. To do this, gulp drink 3-4 glasses of plain water and provoke vomiting.
- Drink sorbents (enterosgel, activated carbon, APSCO, Polisorb, etc.). The dosage of these drugs is specified in the instructions or on the packaging.
- Drink poisoned person simple or mineral water without gas.
Such primary care will help to reduce the intoxication and dehydration. But it does not help to completely cure the person and is only the first step on the road to recovery.
Treatment of poisoning is conducted in the infectious Department of the hospital. If at the time of inspection the doctor the patient's condition is stable and easy, it can be treated at home according to doctor's recommendations.
Treatment of tomato poisoning consists of the following components:
- Rehydration therapy, which aims to replenish the body's lost fluid, on lowering the level of intoxication. If the patient vomits, and he can't drink, he put a dropper with the solution. If there is no vomiting, the patient is prescribed to drink plenty of liquids. You can drink mineral alkaline water or pharmaceutical preparations for oral rehydration, for example, regidron.
- Antiemetic drugs(metoclopramide reglan). They help to eliminate gagging.
- Sorbents. These drugs are prescribed course of 5-7 days.
- Enzymes (Mezim, CREON, Pancreatin). They needed to restore digestion.
- Diet. It signs the attending doctor, who takes into account the patient's condition.
Tomatoes can be dangerous and harmful to humans. Their composition can be nitrates and pesticides. Poisoning including tomatoes takes place during the first few hours after eating them. Patients complain of abdominal pain, they vomit and diarrhea. Treatment was provided in hospital or at home under medical supervision.