Is it possible to poison mushrooms
Porcini mushrooms are loved by many. From them prepare stir-fry, soups, mushroom condiments and sauces, dried and canned. Poisoning mushrooms can occur for many reasons. In this article, we reviewed the etiology and the symptoms of poisoning by mushrooms, the basics first to help and further treatment. About how not to poison with mushrooms you can find on our website.
The reasons why can develop poisoning
Is it possible to poison mushrooms? It turns out that these delicious and healthy mushrooms can be very dangerous for human health. Below are the main reasons that may develop poisoning with mushrooms.
- Eating spoiled, overripe and rotten mushrooms. These plants spoil as quickly as meat. Proteins that decompose under the rotting mushrooms, very dangerous, can cause intoxication.
- Accidental use about white fungus. In appearance it is difficult to distinguish from boletus, and even experienced mushroom pickers can confuse.
- Poor heat treatment of mushrooms. Bacteria that live on mushrooms, are killed only prolonged cooking.
- Preparation of mushroom dishes with people suffering from intestinal infections. They can through dirty hands can infect food.
- Picking mushrooms on ecologically unfavorable territories. Mushrooms are like sponges that absorb toxins from the air and earth. It is not recommended to collect along highways, near factories and industries. But unscrupulous pickers do not pay on these tips to the attention and may collect such dangerous mushrooms for sale.
- Poisoning poor fungal conservation, due to which a person may become ill with botulism.
Characteristics of the clinical picture of poisoning with mushrooms
Symptoms of poisoning develop during the first 2 hours. When used about mushrooms they can occur after 20-30 minutes. The severity of the condition depends on the amount eaten mushroom dishes and the toxin that caused the intoxication.
Symptoms of poisoning with edible mushrooms
- Acute onset, rapidly deteriorating health of the victim.
- General weakness, dizziness.
- Nausea and subsequent vomiting. Vomit contain remnants of eaten food, bile, mucus, and gastric juice. Vomiting can be repeated, to bring a little relief and reduced nausea.
- Profuse diarrhea. Stool liquid, have an unpleasant odor.
- Abdominal pain, intestinal colic.
- Increased bloating, flatulence.
- Tachycardia – rapid heartbeat.
- Hypotension – decrease in blood pressure.
- Shortness of breath.
Symptoms of poisoning about mushrooms
- Severe pain in the right hypochondrium develops because of liver damage.
- Yellowness of the sclera, visible mucous membranes and skin.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Dizziness, headache.
- Paralysis, paresis of the upper and lower extremities.
- Respiratory failure.
- Hallucinations, convulsions throughout the body.
The symptoms of botulism
- Sensation of dryness in the mouth, the eyes.
- Nausea and profuse vomiting.
- Slurring of speech and vision.
- Drooping eyelids.
- The asymmetry of the face.
- Muscle weakness.
- Violation of the swallowing reflex.
Please note that the symptoms of botulism may develop gradually, after 1-2 days after eating the canned food.
First aid for the development of poisoning
When the first signs of mushroom intoxication should call the medics from the ambulance service. The sooner you do, the patient more likely to survive and to maintain their health and performance. Tell the Manager about the incident SMP, list the symptoms of the victim, name the correctly position. Perhaps the Manager will give you guidance on first aid before arrival of physicians.
Remember that the treatment of poisoning by mushrooms may not be carried out independently at home. This is a very dangerous condition in which the patient requires skilled medical care.
While doctors of SMP going for you, start their own to have a poisoned person first aid. Below are the main components.
Gastric lavage will help to clean it from the remnants of the threat of poisonous food. Thanks to him, you pause the strengthening of intoxication.
To clean stomach at home, you should gulp drink 1 liter of cool plain water and snatch it up. This procedure is desirable to repeat several times.
Please note that to wash out the stomach when impaired consciousness in a patient, the appearance of his seizures and hallucinations.
With the help of enemas you can quickly and effectively reduce the intoxication syndrome and to withdraw the poisons from the intestines. Enema should be done on the basis of simple boiled water at room temperature. It is not necessary to add some medicines or decoctions of herbs.
Enema done before the advent of the net intestinal wash water.
These drugs are necessary for neutralization and excretion from the intestine of substandard food, bacteria andtoxins. Can give the patient any sorbent which is in your home first-aid kit (activated carbon, smectite, sorbex, atoxil). Please read the rules carefully dosing and check the date of manufacture of the drug.
Drink plenty of liquids
Fluid is necessary to reduce dehydration and intoxication syndrome. You can drink simple or mineral water without gas. In order not to provoke a new episode of vomiting, you should drink little and often, don't gulp.
What if the person lost consciousness
If people with mushroom poisoning, the patient lost consciousness before the arrival of doctors, lay it on a flat surface, turn the head to one side, lift up the legs. Monitor his pulse and breathing.
The pulse is most convenient to check on the carotid artery, which runs along the front side of the neck, directly under the skin.
To check breathing, put the patient on the chest your hand, and follow the tour up and down.
Stop breathing and heartbeat means the development of clinical death. In this situation, you should start doing chest compressions.
Doctors after arriving at the call to gather the history, examine the patient, check his respiratory rate, heart rate, blood pressure and saturation (the concentration of oxygen in the blood). Tell them you rendered first aid to the man.
Then doctors will put the patient on a drip with fluids to treat dehydration, connects it to oxygen, administered anti-nausea drugs hospitalitynet immediately to the nearest emergency Department or poison control.
The amount and duration of hospital stay depend on the patient, the severity of intoxication and the existence of complications (disorders of the kidneys, pancreas, liver, gastritis).
White mushrooms can cause severe poisoning. With the appearance of his first symptoms, you should call an ambulance. Before the arrival of doctors you can wash the affected the stomach and intestines, give him the sorbents and drink. Further treatment is carried out in intensive care or toxicology. Self-treatment in case of poisoning with mushrooms is absolutely contraindicated.