Causes of nausea after eating and how to deal with it
Nausea and vomiting after eating is a serious phenomenon that may indicate the development in the body acute and chronic diseases. Vomiting immediately after a meal may often be accompanied by heartburn, nausea, painful spasms in the stomach, General malaise and the deterioration of health.
If you feel sick after eating, this can be a symptom of pathological disorders in the gastrointestinal system. Causes of nausea after eating can be very different, from completely harmless to quite serious. And therefore, if a person is sick after eating, be sure to seek professional medical help.
Nausea as a symptom of the disease
For diagnosis of the disease is very important to consider when it comes to the person an unpleasant feeling of nausea – if sick immediately after eating, it often indicates pathology of the gastrointestinal system. Vomiting after fatty foods can be triggered solely by the nature of consumed foods.
Most often the reason for this unpleasant phenomenon is the strict, extreme diets with minimal calories. Also the emergence of vomiting and nausea contribute too rare or small portions of food.
But the causes of nausea and discomfort after eating can be quite different:
- Gastritis, gastric ulcer or duodenal ulcer, colitis and other diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. There are often additional symptoms – heartburn, belching, vomiting, feeling of heaviness in the stomach, a sharp painful cramps, which intensified during night time.
- Pancreatitis is often accompanied by pain in the stomach or right hypochondrium, constant swelling, flatulence, disorders of stool, loss of appetite and, consequently, a decrease in body mass.
- Duodenitis, intestinal infection most often begins nauseated in the morning, on an empty stomach. Also, the patient might be bothered by painful spasms in the stomach, feeling of fullness in the abdomen, a lump in my throat.
- Meningitis is often accompanied by vomiting, headache, photophobia.
- Cholecystitis is characterized by flatulence, pain in the right hypochondrium, the appearance of a metallic taste in the mouth.
- Pregnancy can also cause nausea and discomfort after eating. While morning sickness can occur both early and late pregnancy.
- Renal or hepatic insufficiency, urolithic disease, pancreatitis – its characteristic symptoms are considered to be the bitterness and dry mouth, poor appetite, increased flatulence.
Vomiting after eating can be caused also and intestinal lesions of the body. To determine the presence of parasites in the following symptoms – the appearance of the skin rash, anemia, itching in the anus. The person is often bothered by the feeling of nausea, which can appear as an empty stomach or after eating.
Dizzy and nauseous? This may be a sign of injury or concussion, which are also characterized by severe headache, dizziness, tinnitus. Nausea may be accompanied by diabetes mellitus and other disorders of the endocrine system, thyroid insufficiency, myocardial infarction and other pathologies of the cardiovascular system.
Nausea is an unpleasant phenomenon which can be caused by diseases such as hypertension, PMS, migraines, glaucoma, appendicitis.
In addition, cause discomfort after eating may prolonged intake of certain medications. Most of these side effects are pharmacological drugs, which include caffeine.
If you feel sick after dairy, it may be a sign of lactose intolerance. Milk and other dairy foods are quite "heavy" foods which can be digested for a long time and can cause nausea and vomiting after eating.
Common causes of nausea after eating
Sick after eating any food? This is not always a sign of a serious disease of internal organs. In some cases, cause unpleasant phenomenon can and external factors and poor diet – overeating, eating too much greasy, fried or high calorie food allergic reaction, overheating of the body due to heat stroke.
Also cause nausea after eating can instability of the vestibular apparatus, motion sickness in transport, General intoxication of the body by inhaling tobacco smoke or other toxic substances.
There is such a thing as "psychogenic vomiting." It includes unpleasant sensations arising in the case of mental issues – emotional stress, fatigue, anxiety panic condition. In this case, the treatment is performed by a gastroenterologist and a therapist.
When you need medical help
What to do in case of nausea and vomiting after eating and in some cases require immediate medical attention? Experts answer this question in the following way:
- In the vomit inclusions appearedblood.
- Black stool, with bloody additions.
- The emergence of "flies" or spots before eyes, severe headache, turning into dizziness.
- Pain in the abdomen, which is becoming intensive.
- Shallow, labored breathing.
- Nausea accompanied by loss of consciousness.
For further diagnosis will need to seek help from the gastroenterologist, who will prescribe all necessary laboratory studies and determine the optimal method of treatment.
How to distinguish: poisoning or disease
Food poisoning has a significant similarity with the symptoms of many diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Most often the poisoning, and viral disease characterized by intense nausea, and debilitating vomiting, sudden painful spasms in the abdomen, disorders of the chair.
But viral diseases have several characteristic symptoms, by which they differ from food poisoning:
- In the case of viral disease nausea may be accompanied by fever, cough, rhinitis, lacrimation, painful sensations in the muscles.
- In viral infections the nature of feces in most cases does not change, while food poisoning is often observed disorders of the chair, and the stool is liquid.
- In the case of infection of viral origin, the urine may change its usual color and odor. Food poisoning is not accompanied by similar symptoms.
Additional symptoms of food poisoning is dry mouth, increased thirst, severe headache and dizziness, rare urination, fatigue, weakness, weight loss, deterioration of General health.
Medications for nausea
What to do in case if a person is concerned about nausea after eating? You first need to determine the cause of the disease, and then assigns the optimal method of treatment.
Today in the pharmacy presents a huge number of drugs that will help be used to treat nausea, which bother a person after a meal.
Treatment of nausea and vomiting after eating can be carried out with the following medications:
- Motilak – is used for nausea, bloating, indigestion.
- Validol is effective in angina, hysterical state, nausea psychogenic.
- Motilium is used to treat nausea, heartburn, painful spasms in the stomach.
- Reglan is used to eliminate vomiting and nausea that accompany inflammatory diseases of the mucosal surface of the stomach.
- Etaperazin – used to treat nausea and vomiting, including during pregnancy.
In some cases, treatment can be supplemented with antibiotics – most often used drugs from the category of macrolides (erythromycin, clarithromycin). Antibiotics are used only for the treatment of patients in the age category 12 years and older.
If the cause of nausea and vomiting after eating is gastritis, gastric ulcer or duodenal ulcer, it is necessary to adjust powerto follow a strict diet to completely abandon the consumption of fried, fatty, sweet, pickled dishes.
Nausea appears while moving in a vehicle? For elimination of attacks you can use special medicines, which are represented in the pharmacy. No need to eat before the journey, it is best to drink small SIPS of salted sparkling water. In the treatment of instability of the vestibular apparatus and nausea while riding in a vehicle are different drugs, for example, "Air-Sea".
If the nausea was caused by inflammation of the Appendix, the treatment is carried out surgically. After surgery, shall be appointed anti-inflammatory and antibacterial drugs.
Folk medicine against nausea
For the treatment of nausea, which occur after eating, can be successfully applied different tools:
- Excellent remedy for nausea that occurs after a meal – drink a glass of cool water with the addition of the dining room spoon of natural Apple vinegar.
- A small piece of ginger root should be ground on a grater, pour 2 cups of boiling water. When ginger infusion has cooled, it is taken at the small throat.
- A glass of fresh milk should be put on a small fire and boil for 5 minutes, at the end of the boiling add milk small handful of dried and pre-chopped nettle.
- Weak green tea with peppermint is great for relieving feelings of nausea after eating. For this purpose you can use a decoction of peppermint for cooking that use dry mint leaves 1 tbsp. They need to pour hot water (1-2 cups), let stand for about an hour and consume a tablespoon throughout the day.
- Green tea leaves are used slightly differently – slowly chew them at the first signs of nausea and discomfort inthe stomach. Usually this is enough to stop the development of asthma.
- Often to get rid of vomiting and nausea apply fresh juice of potatoes that must be carefully strain and drink 1-2 tablespoons spoonful every hour.
In most cases, at the first sign of discomfort and spasms in the stomach people refuse eating. In this case, a great alternative is to drink plenty of water – for example, warm water with a small piece of ginger root and lemon slices. This acidic drink perfectly normalizes blood and helps to get rid of even severe nausea and vomiting, suitable for use by pregnant women during toxicosis.