Temperature in cases of poisoning in adults and children: what to do
Does the temperature in cases of poisoning? Hyperthermia, or the rise in body temperature may be one of the symptoms of poisoning. It can develop for many reasons in children and adults. This article describes the etiology of fever in foodborne diseases, methods of its reduction and treatment.
The main causes of fever in cases of poisoning
Can there be temperature in case of poisoning? This symptom is caused by many factors, and it should pay attention. The following are the main reasons you may have a fever in adults and children for food poisoning:
- Infection intestinal infection. Salmonella, dysentery and E. coli cause severe intoxication and inflammation in the intestinal walls. Temperature is a protective reaction that indicates the immune system that fights pathogens. The bacteria enter the body with contaminated food or through dirty hands, unwashed dishes. For bacterial intestinal infections, the temperature may rise to 38 degrees.
- Acute gastritis – inflammation of the gastric mucosa, which can occur due to irritation by toxins or chemicals. This condition is accompanied by severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting. The temperature usually does not rise above 37,5 degrees.
- Pancreatitis – inflammation of the pancreas. This organ responds quickly to the poisoning. In acute inflammation of the pancreas develops strong girdle unbearable pain in the abdomen, the temperature rises to 38,5-39,5 degrees. Can appear dark purple spots on the skin near the navel. This condition is treated surgically.
- Pronounced dehydration that can occur due to profuse vomiting and diarrhea. It is accompanied by severe intoxication. Person feels weak, the skin becomes flabby and pale, sink your eyeballs. This condition is very dangerous, when it thickens the blood, impaired function of the cardiovascular system, breathing, the functioning of the brain.
Please note that the high temperature after exposure is a symptom of a serious condition of the patient. At home you don't need to think about its causes. The etiology of fever can be detected only by a doctor, after inspection and detailed examination of the patient.
What to do when the temperature rises
Fever food poisoning is a signal that speaks about the seriousness of the disease. Don't even try to treat this disease by yourself at home.
With the development of fever on the background of poisoning, call an ambulance home alone or go to the nearest hospital. The sooner you do the easier it will be to cure and to save the poisoned person.
Please note that in cases of poisoning to decrease the body temperature should not be alone. All pain pills what can be in your home first-aid kit, will only hurt the patient. They irritate the stomach and do not eliminate the causes of hyperthermia. But in some conditions (gastritis, pancreatitis) analgesics are contraindicated! So don't even think about how to bring down the temperature in cases of poisoning yourself.
You can only give the patient first aid. In severe otravleniya with temperature, it may depend on a person's life. The table below presents the basic steps that you can to help the victim.
|The name of the method||Description||The technique of the|
|Gastric lavage||Is necessary to remove from the stomach the remnants of poor food, toxins or chemicals, which the patient is poisoned.
It is not possible at home in the following cases:
|In order to wash out the stomach, you should gulp drink 1 liter of plain water and snatch it. The procedure should be repeated several times.
The use of potassium permanganate, according to the new protocols, it is not effective and dangerous.
The water temperature for washing should be room.
|Enema||Intestinal cleansing is done to remove toxicity. With this procedure, the body temperature may decrease 1-2 degrees.||Enema is conducted on the basis of a simple boiled water at room temperature. To do it should be up to clean the wash water.
No need to add to the enema medicines, decoctions of herbs.
|Sorbents||These drugs should be taken after cleansing the stomach. They neutralise and remove toxins and bacteria from the body.||Before using sorbents, check their production date and read the terms dose calculation for the patient.
|Drink plenty of liquids||Dehydrated the body in cases of poisoning need to drink plenty of liquids. Fluid helps to reduce the intoxication syndrome and dehydration.||You can drink:
|Diet||Diet is required for recoverydigestive system and body.||You can eat to start only after the permission of the doctor and the placement of the diagnosis. On the first day of poisoning only allowed to eat dried white bread and slimy boiled rice.|
First aid is the medical team that arrived on a call. They collect medical history, examine the patient, checking his vitals. Details tell them what kind of food poisoned sick than you have time alone to help him until they arrive.
A team of medical professionals can be provided with the following assistance:
- Gastric lavage through the probe is held at a poisoning with acids or alkalis, as well as young children.
- IV fluids on the basis of physiological solution and glucose. It is necessary to eliminate dehydration and lowering the level of intoxication.
- Intravenous administration of antispasmodic and antiemetic drugs.
- Lowering the temperature is performed when it is increased above 38.5 degrees. All drugs administered intramuscularly or intravenously.
After first aid doctors hospitalityat the patient to the infectious Department. In cases of poisoning by chemicals transported him to the toxicology. If the condition of the patient is severe – the treatment is performed in the ICU (intensive care unit).
The duration of stay in the hospital depends on the etiology of the disease, patient's condition, timely treatment to doctors. Fever after food poisoning can last up to 3 days.
Examination in cases of poisoning with temperature
Examination of the patient begins at the time of his hospitalization. It is held in parallel with the provision of medical care. Laboratory and instrumental diagnostics are necessary for diagnosis, identify the cause and the causative agent, complications and assessment of severity.
The list of required examinations:
- General analysis of blood leukocyte formula deployed helps to identify the presence of bacterial or viral infection in the body, anemia, blood clotting;
- urinalysis performed to diagnose kidney damage, which can occur due to exposure to toxins;
- bacteriological examination of feces is required to detect intestinal infection and the purpose of antibiotic therapy;
- biochemical analysis of blood is done to detect electrolyte changes in the blood and disruption of the internal organs;
- ultrasound examination is necessary for assessment of kidney, liver, pancreas;
- electrocardiography is done to detect arrhythmias and robots of the cardiovascular system.
Remember that we should not hurry to throw away products that poisoned people. They may be needed for laboratory analysis and identification of toxins or microorganisms.
Temperature in cases of poisoning is an alarming symptom. It may increase in severe intoxication, dehydration, intestinal infections, gastritis or pancreatitis. With the development of this symptom should seek medical help. The duration and the scope of the inpatient treatment depend on the cause of the disease and the patient's condition.