Overdose and poisoning garlic: symptoms, treatment
Garlic is a favorite of many plants. It is added to many dishes, eat a bit of sugar with soups and meat. It is believed that he protects people from viral infections, and daily use of it in a small amount improves the protective ability of the immune system. But not many people know about the harm that can cause this plant to the human body. In this article, we considered the poisoning of garlic, its causes, symptoms and treatment, and tried to figure out who is absolutely contraindicated to use this plant for food.
The beneficial properties of garlic
The composition of garlic is a natural antibacterial ingredient – allicin. It helps a person to fight infectious diseases. Garlic improves immune function, and doctors recommend it during seasonal epidemics of influenza to protect against the virus.
Please note that the person with a sore throat, doctors suggest not to eat garlic. He's annoying and so the inflamed mucosa, increases the pain and redness.
Garlic-based make alcohol tinctures used for the treatment of skin diseases. Because of the high risk of a burn is to apply them very carefully, only after consultation with your doctor.
The causes of garlic poisoning
Is it possible to get poisoned by garlic? Intoxication may develop for many reasons. This product should be consumed in limited to moderate amounts. It is believed that over time, you can eat 1-2 heads of garlic.
Please note that young and green garlic can also be toxic and dangerous. You need to control it-used amount.
Causes of garlic poisoning include the following.
- An overdose of garlic. Symptoms of poisoning can occur after eating 1 whole head of garlic.
- The use of tinctures or other homemade medicines, prepared on the basis of garlic. Be careful and do not treatment with methods of alternative medicine.
- The use of garlic the people whom it is contraindicated. This product is prohibited if:
- acute or chronic gastritis;
- peptic ulcer disease;
- frequent heartburn;
- high acidity of gastric juice;
- the period of pregnancy and lactation;
- bronchial asthma;
- hepatitis, cirrhosis of the liver;
- acute or chronic liver failure;
- disturbed heart rhythm, arterial hypertension.
If after eating garlic you begin to notice the emergence of stomach pain, heartburn, pressure changes, tachycardia, contact your doctor. Perhaps you do not need to add food this product.
How does garlic intoxication
Poisoning garlic begins to manifest clinically during the first two hours after consumption of this product in food. The first iteration of the digestive system, then join the symptoms of the cardiovascular and nervous systems.
Symptoms of garlic poisoning:
- pain in region of stomach, heartburn, belching with an unpleasant garlic taste;
- expressed strong garlic breath of the patient;
- a slowly growing nausea with subsequent vomiting. These symptoms are caused by strong irritation of the mucous membrane of the stomach;
- severe headache in cases of poisoning, dizziness;
- the increase in body temperature to 37-37,5 degrees.
- rapid heartbeat (tachycardia). Heart rate exceeds 100 beats/min. may Also develop arrhythmia – abnormal heart rhythm. People may complain that he feels the disruption of his heart;
- arterial hypertension, in which there is a sharp rise in blood pressure.
First aid for poisoning
Do not own to try to cure the patient from garlic poisoning. As we have mentioned above, this condition may be accompanied by disruption of the heart and a strong stomach irritation, so take a risk and treat poisoned their own home dangerous.
When the first symptoms of poisoning, call an ambulance or yourself, contact the nearest medical facility (clinic, hospital, clinic).
What to do until medics arrive? You can help the patient by doing the following:
- If garlic was not more than 4 hours, gulp drink a few glasses of plain water and provoke vomiting.
- Give the patient sorbents, e.g., activated carbon or APSCO.
- Water patient warm sweet tea or plain water.
Treatment of poisoning
Treatment garlic poisoning can be carried out in hospital or at home. After examining the patient, the doctor determines the severity of his condition and determines the amount of necessary therapy. In the case of a light garlic and intoxication, the doctor gives recommendations and allows treatment at home.
When garlic poisoning treatment consists of:
- diet, which is necessary for the recovery of the gastric mucosa. During treatment can not eat fried, fatty and spicy foods;
- copious drinking. The liquid accelerates the elimination of toxins garlic from the body;
- sorbents andenzymes. These drugs regulate digestion;
- antacids, medicines that help reduce inflammation of the stomach and get rid of heartburn.
Please note that in the case of heart rhythm disorders and severe the patient's condition, the treatment is carried out in the hospital.
Poisoning garlic often develops as a result of its use in large quantities. This product is able to disrupt digestion and lead to arrhythmias, of intoxication. Treatment of poisoning is carried out under the supervision of a physician in a hospital or at home. The patient needs to follow the diet, drink plenty of fluids and take medicines prescribed by the attending physician. Do not forget that even such a useful product, such as garlic, can cause serious harm to the body instead of the expected benefit.