Overdose and poisoning Dimexidum: symptoms and treatment
Dimexidum is a drug for local use. It is used for the treatment of various diseases of the joints, skin, ligaments and bones. It has antimicrobial, antiseptic and analgesic properties. Poisoning Dimexidum can develop with improper or prolonged use. In this article, we reviewed the symptoms that manifested this state, the way of first aid and treatment.
The description of the drug
Dimexide is available in the form of an aqueous solution, sold in bottles of 50 or 100 ml. is Realized this drug without medical prescription.
This drug is intended only for local use. Drink and gulp it down is strictly prohibited.
When applied to the skin the drug works not only locally, but, being absorbed, enters the blood stream. Before you start treatment with this medicine you should consult with your doctor.
The effect of the drug
Dimexide has a complex effect on the pathological focus. When applying it to the problem area of the body it has the following effects:
- relieves pain. This drug is used as a local anesthetic;
- reduces severity of inflammatory reaction;
- destroys pathogenic microorganisms that cause inflammatory reaction;
- making resistant bacteria sensitive to antimicrobial therapy.
Dimexide is quickly absorbed and is able to act not only on the skin surface, but also in the joints, bones, tendons and ligaments. On the basis of this drug often do packs with antibiotics, steroids, anti-inflammatory drugs.
Doctors call dimexide "guide". If you want to contribute to the penetration into the subcutaneous layers of some drug, it is used together with Dimexidum.
Dimexide is widely used in modern medicine for the treatment of the following diseases:
- rheumatoid arthritis;
- Bechterew's disease;
- stretching of the ligaments of the joints;
- arthrosis and arthritis of different etiology;
- traumatic infiltrates;
- abscesses and cellulites;
- boils and carbuncles;
- trophic ulcers.
Dimexide and are absorbed into the blood, affects the entire body. It is absolutely impossible to apply at:
- acute or chronic renal failure;
- allergic hypersensitive to drug or its components;
- coronary heart disease in the form of angina pectoris, myocardial ischemia;
- increased intraocular pressure, glaucoma, cataract;
- disturbed consciousness of the patient, a comatose condition;
- pregnancy and lactation;
- children up to 12 years.
Poisoning Dimexidum can occur due to improper use or an extended treatment of them. Also at risk are people who choose to self-medicate.
In the local application of dimexide overdose develops very rarely. It may occur in the event of human consumption of the drug inside.
A child can be poisoned by medication, accidentally drinking a bottle. Kids love to try all tastes, so without exception, all medications must be stored in inaccessible places.
In case of overdose of the drug may develop an acute allergic reaction. Most often it occurs in the form of urticaria. The patient bespoleznye appear red rash. For such a rash characterized by severe itching.
In rare cases it develops a more severe allergic reaction in the form of angioedema angioedema. In this patient begins to swell the face, especially eyelids and lips. Swelling can develop in the oropharynx area, leading to asphyxiation and suffocation. The patient begins to cough, feel breathless.
What to do with the development of Allergy to the drug
With the development of acute allergic reactions you should immediately call an ambulance. Describe to the dispatcher the condition of the patient and correct name address. While waiting physicians need to begin to provide first aid. Below are the main components:
- Rinse the skin from the remnants of the drug.
- Open in the room where the patient is located, Windows, and make sure that no items of clothing does not prevent him to breathe.
- If your home medicine Cabinet is an antihistamine (antiallergic) drugs, give them to the patient to drink. Thus it is necessary to strictly follow the rules of dosage specified in the instructions
- If the poisoning has developed as the result of taking the drug inside, you need to give a poisoned person drink several glasses of water and then provoke vomiting. Then the patient must take a sorbent, e.g. activated charcoal or enterosgel.
The ambulance arrived on a call, will examine the patient and determine the severity of his condition. When angioedema intravenous introduced the following medications:
- antihistamines, for example diphenhydramine or suprastin.
- corticosteroids – dexamethasone or prednisone.
If, after the introductiondrugs the patient's condition has not improved, they are transported to the nearest emergency hospital in the therapy Department.
Side effects Dimexidum
The drug dimexide may be the cause of the development of side effects. They can occur even with proper usage of the medicine. To side effects Dimexidum include the following States:
- itching and redness of the skin;
- sleep disturbances, insomnia;
- General lethargy, fatigue, weakness;
- nausea and vomiting;
- pain in the abdomen.
The appearance of the above symptoms you should immediately stop using the product. Then you need to wash it from the skin and contact your doctor.
Most of these symptoms disappear after discontinuation of the drug. The attending doctor will prescribe you another medicine.
Dimexide is widely used for the treatment of inflammatory diseases of the joints and skin. Before using it one should consult the treating doctor. In case of overdose with this drug may develop allergies in the form of urticaria or angioneurotic angioedema. With the development of acute allergic reactions should call an ambulance and take an antihistamine.