General anesthesia – the consequences for the human body
Using painkillers during surgery, it is impossible to predict what will be the consequences of General anesthesia to the body. Portability of anesthesia depends on various factors. These include age, gender, alcohol or drug dependence, as well as General health and chronic human pathology. One of the main dangers is the fact that complications might occur after some time after surgery.
What is General anesthesia
General anesthesia – a kind of anesthesia, artificial introduction of the man into unconsciousness with the possibility of return of consciousness. Used to block painful syndromes during surgical interventions and other medical procedures. To achieve the loss of pain is possible with the help of special medicines that are selected in a certain dosage.
Drugs capable of immersing the cortical centers of the brain in a drugged sleep of varying depth. To enter the body drugs can in a variety of ways: by inhalation using the inhalation of various substances, as well as non-inhalation, in the form of parenteral administration.
The effects of anesthetics on the human organism goes through several stages:
- Analgesia – the gradual loss of consciousness, coupled with a lack of sensitivity.
- Stage of excitation, which is caused by some remedies. The stage is characterized by short-term excitability of the brain centers.
- Surgical stage – complete loss of excitability and of all kinds of sensitivity.
- Awakening. The return of painful syndromes, consciousness, and motor abilities.
The intensity level of each stage is connected with the specific medication used for pain relief.
Harmful or no anesthesia for the body? All types of anesthesia, both General and local anesthesia, can cause some changes.
Varieties of anesthesia
The dangers of anesthesia depends on its type. Most often one-time use of painkillers poses no threat to humans.
To enter a patient in the sleep state can various medications, including narcotic and non-narcotic analgesics, anesthetic drugs, antipsychotics. There are several types of General anesthesia. Depending on the method of penetration in the human body there are:
- Inhaled form – receipt of medical substances into the circulatory system via the lungs by inhalation of gaseous media. Used in dentistry.
- Non-inhalation method. The introduction of the drug intramuscularly or intravenously, is less frequently used than the first method. This method of analgesia can be divided:
- the classic introduction of funds – of recofol, typical, ketamine, in venous blood, leading to deep sleep with preservation of respiratory capacity and a small relaxation of the muscles;
- neuroleptanalgesia is carried out with droperidol, fentanyl. Surface anaesthesia, causing drowsiness and lethargy;
- ataralgesia. Loss of pain with the help of tranquilizers diazepam and fentanyl;
- combined anesthesia. Is a gradual flow of drugs from different pharmacological groups: anesthetics, narcotic analgesics, neuroleptics, means for inhalation in conjunction with relaxants ditilin, Arduan. When applying these substances block nerve and muscle impulses, leading to complete loss of respiratory capacity. This condition is a danger to children and adults.
Such anesthesia is carried out with intubirovannam trachea and hardware IVL.
The risk of General anesthesia
The risk of not waking up during the surgery exists. Anesthesia works in 99% of cases, however 1% can happen unexpectedly. During the surgery the patient feel in control of the anesthesiologists, who, suspecting something was amiss, take first aid measures.
Another relevant question asked by many patients: is it possible to die from the actions of anesthetic drugs? Reaction to anesthesia can be fatal, however, with the development of modern technologies the probability of death decreased several times.
Currently, the medical institutions use a variety of techniques aimed at preserving the life of patients, however the dangerous effects of narcosis at which the possible significant deterioration of health.
This files most often experience the following complications after undergoing surgery:
- soreness in the throat;
- light cramps;
- disorientation in space;
- the itchy sensation;
- pain in back and waist;
- muscle aches;
- a slight clouding of consciousness.
Most often these manifestations occur for a short time and disappear within the first 24 hours after surgical manipulation.
If pain relief of patients may experience some condition, continued:
- panic attacks are able to disrupt the rhythm of life in the form of uncontrollable bouts of fear;
- the memory impairment. Installed several instances of memory loss in childrenwho could not remember elementary school material;
- disorder of the vascular system, increased heart rate, tachycardia;
- the increase in pressure;
- failure of the liver and kidney due to exposure to drugs used during surgery.
Disorder in the functioning of the liver and kidney is less common than the other consequences.
About 50 years ago the negative impact of anesthesia was observed in 70% of cases. Currently, only 1-2% of the recorded cases of death, accounting for 1 in 3-4 thousand transactions.
Effect on the body
Before performing surgery, the specialist determines the type of anaesthesia, depending on the particular person. Adults may experience the following condition:
- loss of sleep;
- the hearing and speech;
- pain syndromes in the head;
- violation of memorizing basic things;
These symptoms may disappear within 3-5 hours after application of anesthetics.
Negative effects after anesthesia can occur in the form of:
- swelling of the Airways;
- vomiting, in which vomit can penetrate into the respiratory system;
- inflammatory processes;
- brain edema;
- kidney failure;
- violations of cerebral circulation;
What is the impact of anesthesia on the human body, it is impossible to say: all depends on the type of anesthesia, duration of use, method of use and individual sensitivity to substances.
Effects on the brain
Analgesia during surgical interventions affects the brain: a number of patients noted worsening of memory, lowering of concentration, disorder of mental abilities. Similar complications appear gradually, are temporary and lasted about a year.
One of the most dangerous consequences is asthenic syndrome, accompanied by changes in the Central nervous system.
The primary symptoms include:
- sleep disturbance that occurs in the form of insomnia or, conversely, deep sleep;
- depression, mood swings;
- decreased performance, frequent fatigue.
To secondary, mild signs include:
- a sense of absent-mindedness;
- deterioration of concentration;
- difficulty remembering things;
- the decline in learning ability.
Most of these manifestations occur in the first 3 months from the day of surgery.
There is speculation, which leads to these symptoms:
- the ability of drugs to lower blood pressure. Drugs for anesthesia cause a mini stroke, which often goes unnoticed to humans;
- the imbalance caused by the medications that provoke the death of nerve cells;
- the interaction of the immune system and the inflammatory process. This state appears after the operation in case of refusal from the patient antispasmodics.
The probability of asthenic syndrome increases with the following factors:
- children or old age;
- an increased dose of the anesthetic;
- the presence of some chronic diseases;
- reduced intellectual abilities of the patient;
- prolonged use of painkillers;
- severe postoperative trauma.
Positive minded patients are easier to tolerate loss of consciousness, so doctors should give moral support to patients, preventing panic disorder.
Effects on the heart
In most cases, the negative impact of anesthesia on the human body is seen in people who have heart disease.
Before use of General anesthesia for people suffering from heart disease, you must get a complete diagnosis, the results of which specialist will evaluate overall health and determine the type of anesthetic.
Means and methods of their administration in different ways can affect the heart: many cores can easily tolerate the anesthesia, others experience significant unpleasant symptoms, such as:
- compression of the chest;
- rapid pulse;
- the pain and stabbing feeling in the heart;
- the feeling of heat;
- slow heartbeat.
Anesthetics affect conduction system, causing arrhythmia. Fortunately, such phenomena are transient and after some time is able to regress. However, in some cases pathology may remain for a long time or even forever.
Impact on a woman's body
To apply anesthesia during pregnancy, doctors do not recommend: the pain killers are very toxic and can negatively affect the unborn child.
Prohibited the use of anesthetics in 1 and 2 trimesters of the carrying a child: these stages are laid internal organs of the fetus.
Drugs able to inhibit the development of internal organs, to degrade the power that can be triggered by various external and internal defects of the child. Also do not use anesthesia in the middle of the 3rd trimester: it may cause miscarriage, premature birth, uterine bleeding, and General poisoning of a pregnant woman.
General anesthesia during a cesareancross section leads to:
- symptoms of pain in the head;
- spasms of the muscles;
- deterioration of concentration of attention;
- turbidity of consciousness;
- convulsive syndromes.
Negative effects of anesthesia on a woman's body occur under the influence of the following factors:
- Strain. Any anaesthetic leads to an increase in stress on the body, slows the work of all organs.
- Change in the usual diet. Some types of surgical operations require adherence to a therapeutic diet that affect frequency of menstruation and the abundance of secretions during menstruation.
- Interference in the work of organs of small pelvis often leads to their failure. The woman needs time to restore their operation.
- During and after surgery the weakened body is exposed to increased risk of infection.
The impact on the child's body
Most often, children are easier to tolerate the anesthesia and quickly forget the negative effects that accompany surgery, which is a feature of their psychology. Reaction of child's organism on the introduction of anesthetics are as individual as adults. Any interference can affect the growth and development of the child. Of the adverse effects are the appearance of allergic reactions to medicines, disruption of the heart.
In addition, the anesthesia affects the rate of development of children and compromise the Central nervous system, therefore, before the anesthesia specialist matches the need of its implementation to the risk of complications.
How dangerous anesthesia during surgery in children? Frequent consequences are:
- heart disorders;
Similar symptoms are observed in rare cases. Of the later consequences can be noted a cognitive disorder in the form:
- chronic headaches, migraines that are not able to eliminate the painkillers;
- slowly progressive disorders of the functioning of the liver and kidneys;
- inclination to vertigo;
- spasmodic contractions of muscles of legs.
Of cognitive impairment may be noted the deterioration of memory, reasoning, difficulties with concentration, impulsive behavior. In children of early age, before 3 years, there has been a backlog of mental development, difficulty learning, epileptic syndrome.
To avoid the negative consequences of General anesthesia, before surgery to fully examine the body, and after surgery to use medication, improves cerebral blood circulation, and vitamin complexes.
Many people wonder how anesthesia can move people? Doctors say that General anesthesia should be performed as many times as required. If there is a question of life and death, physicians make a decision about the use of anesthesia, despite the possible negative consequences in the future.