An overdose of Mexidol: symptoms, treatment
Mexidol is quite a fresh development of domestic pharmacology. The drug belongs to the group nootropics, active substance acts oxitetraciclina succinate. This component helps to improve the respiration of tissues, which is vital in many diseases that occur with hypoxia. The drug acts directly on the brain cells, cleans the symptoms of intoxication and protects them from oxygen starvation, which can lead to cell death. Despite the benefits of the drug in the treatment of diseases overdose is possible with Mexidol in that case, if greatly exceeded the dose.
General characteristics of drugs
Mexidol has antioxidant, antihypoxic, membrane-protective, nootropic, anticonvulsant, and lipid-lowering properties.
The drug can increase the body's resistance to stressful situations, as well as different damaging factors. It is very good for shock state, hypoxia, ischemia, cerebrovascular accident, intoxication of alcohol and some drugs. The medication helps to restore the membrane structures of blood cells.
Mexidol available in tablets and solution for injection. Each package has detailed usage instructions.
Mexidol is used for the relief of acute narcotic syndrome in opioid dependence.
When appointed Mexidol
The drug is prescribed for several diseases, which are characterized by poor nutrition of the tissues with oxygen. These include:
- acute violation of brain blood circulation;
- vegetovascular dystonia;
- multiple sclerosis;
- anxiety with nervousness;
- mental disorders in alcoholism;
- poisoning by neuroleptics;
- in the complex of treatment when necrosis of the tissues;
- injuries that are accompanied by oxygen starvation of tissues.
Dosage and dosage form of the drug determined by the attending physicianbased on the severity of the disease.
Contraindications and side effects
Contraindications of Mexidol quite a bit. The drug is prescribed with caution or replaced under these conditions:
- Individual intolerance to the components included in the medication;
- Kidney failure;
- Pregnancy and lactation in women.
This group of patients Mexidol is prescribed only in exceptional cases, after carefully weighing all possible risks.
With care prescribe the drug treatment patients who have high blood pressure. If the therapy is vital, first stabilize the pressure.
Side effects in the treatment with Mexidol are recorded rarely. Possible slight indigestion and a dry mouth. With too rapid intravenous administration may be a metallic taste in the mouth and a feeling of heat in the body. Occasionally it can be shortness of breath, tickling in the throat and a persistent sensation of unpleasant smell. Intolerance means can be allergic reactions, especially difficult occur in people with bronchial asthma in history.
When it can be overdose
An overdose of Mexidol can only be through negligence or in the case of special use of large doses of medication:
- At intravenous introduction of a solution of a possible overdose in case of incorrectly calculated dose.
- If the pills were left in a visible place and they were accidentally eaten by a child.
- If the drug was used for suicidal purposes.
Mexidol has a low toxicity, therefore, subject to a therapeutic dose poisoning with this drug is unlikely.
Symptoms of overdose
Symptoms of poisoning with Mexidol satisfied specific. May be some unpleasant conditions:
- persistent sleep disturbance may be as insomnia, and atypical drowsiness;
- weakness in muscles and joints;
- increase in blood pressure.
With a mild case of overdose treatment is required, all the symptoms will be unnoticed during the day. Only for hypertension, symptomatic treatmentaimed at normalizing blood pressure.
First aid for severe overdose
If a person took a lot of tablets Mexidol, he very quickly provide standard help. It is necessary to prevent the absorption of the drug in gastric mucosa and its impact on the body:
- Well the stomach is washed to clean the waste waters. The liquid for rinsing can serve as pure water, weak solution of salt or slightly pink solution of potassium permanganate. If gastric lavage of perform young child, it must be kept upright to avoid choking on vomit.
- Give the victim some kind of a sorbent, suitable POLYSORB, paxil, activated charcoal or smectite.
- The patient is placed in bed, the upper body should be angled towards the feet. Begin soldering in small portions.
If after first aid the victim's condition has not improved, then call a doctor. Ambulanceneed to immediately call in case of poisoning of a child or pregnant.
What consequences can be in case of overdose
If you overdose the medicine, no health effects will be. There may be minor side effects, which will be held in a few hours.
In severe poisoning, the victim will for some time continue to feel weakness, lethargy, and unstable pressure. Children can be strong allergic reaction that will require the consultation of an allergist.
Possible death from overdose.
Death possible from overdose of any drug, the only question is the amount of medication. Mexidol has no strong toxic effect on the human body, but it can disrupt the cardiovascular and nervous systems.
Death from an overdose of Mexidol may occur due to respiratory disorders or stroke, which arose because of high blood pressure due to excessive administration of the drug.
How to prevent an overdose.
To prevent an overdose of Mexidol very simple, just follow some rules:
- It is impossible to self-medicatebased solely on the advice of friends or information on the Internet.
- To hide the medicines away from young children and mentally unstable persons.
- Do not exceed the dosage that was prescribed by the attending physician.
- Do not use for the treatment drugs with expired shelf life.
When intravenous Mexidol should be some speed. If the drug too quickly into the bloodstream, may be severe side effects.
Mexidol is an innovative drug for the treatment of neurological diseases and the treatment of diseases associated with tissue hypoxia. To avoid health problems while taking this medication you must strictly adhere to the recommendations of the attending physician.