First aid for alcohol poisoning at home
Alcohol poisoning is a dangerous condition, during which there is a loss of most of the internal organs, the brain. It can lead to permanent disability and death. In this article we considered first aid for alcohol poisoning at home, the main features of the use of alcohol substitutes.
What are the main causes of alcohol poisoning
The following are the main causes of alcohol poisoning.
- One-time large intake of alcoholic beverages. Intoxication develops when the concentration of alcohol in the blood 2.5 g/L. it Should be noted that this concentration is different for each person. It depends on his weight, age, health of the liver and kidneys.
- The taking alcohol with medications or drugs. Some drugs increase the effect of alcohol on the body. For example, antidepressants, barbiturates, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Booze – as a long and continuous intake of alcohol over several days, months. The condition is found with alcoholism.
- The acceptance of surrogates of alcohol (methyl, ethylene glycol). These fluids are used in industries. Unfair manufacturers of alcohol sometimes dilute their vodka. These drinks are deadly.
What are the symptoms manifesting alcohol poisoning
First signs of alcohol poisoning appear in a few hours. Their severity depends on the quantity and quality of alcohol consumed.
Remember that in case of poisoning with methyl, the first symptoms may appear only after 1-2 days.
Poisoning with ethyl alcohol
Intoxication with ethyl alcohol develops as a result of administration of large doses of alcohol, concentration of alcohol in the blood increases. The development of poisoning evidence of the inability of the body to neutralize the molecules of alcohol. Alcohol poisoning affects the nervous, digestive, respiratory and endocrine systems.
Here are the main symptoms of poisoning with ethyl alcohol.
- Nausea and vomiting. Vomiting is a protective mechanism. The stomach tries to get rid of excess drinking.
- Diarrhea develops as a result of disruption of the pancreas. It may be profuse and lead to severe dehydration.
- Strong abdominal pain which can be localized in the stomach or intestines. Such pain is caused by inflammation of the lining of the stomach, flatulence and lesions of the pancreas.
- Nervous deviation. In alcoholic poisoning of brain tissue loses oxygen and glucose. Due to dehydration and thickening of blood develops vasospasm. Symptoms of damage to brain cells in alcohol:
- convulsions, which apply to all muscle groups;
- increased irritability and aggressiveness;
- not a special act of defecation and urination;
- disturbance of consciousness in which the victim gradually sinking into a stupor, then falls into a deep coma.
- Shallow and rapid breathing. Gradually the patient develops respiratory failure.
Poisoning with methyl alcohol
The main symptom is blurred vision. The man complains about the weakening of the clarity seen pictures, a sense of dimness before my eyes. Methyl alcohol leads to complete and irreversible blindness.
The rest of the symptoms are the same as in poisoning with ethanol.
Poisoning with ethylene glycol
Symptoms of ethylene glycol poisoning are similar to the symptoms of poisoning with ethyl alcohol. The main feature is the acute kidney damage. In humans, decreases the amount of urine produced, swelling develops on the surface of the whole body.
How to help the victim
First aid for alcohol poisoning must begin immediately after the appearance of signs of disease. You should first call the brigade emergency ambulance home. Describe to the dispatcher the symptoms of the patient. To self-medicate at home with this state is prohibited. First aid for alcohol poisoning at home is relatives before arrival of physicians. It 's timely first-aid proper care determines the life expectancy.
The following are the emergency treatment of alcohol poisoning that should be given to the victim until the arrival of medical emergency services.
Gastric lavage necessary to flush the cavity of the stomach from alcohol or toxic substances. With the cleanup of the stomach to improve the condition of the patient.
Please note that the gastric lavage at home is only the people in mind. If the patient is in a coma or in a state of severe intoxication, this procedure can lead to aspiration of water into the lungs and choking on her own vomit.
In order to clear the stomach of the house, you have to chug 1 liter canteen of water and then to snatch it. This procedure can be done several times. No need to add water to wash the medication or potassium permanganate.
Enema is to cleanse the body from decay products of alcoholand toxins. It helps to reduce the intoxication syndrome. Enema is a required component of emergency care for alcohol intoxication.
It use water neutral (room) temperature. Add medicine or herbal solutions can not. Do an enema before getting clean wash water.
Sorbents are drugs that derive from the body toxins and poisons. They accelerate the neutralization of alcohol, reduce intoxication syndrome.
Carefully read the rules for the selection of dosage of sorbent. It may depend on the weight or age of the patient. The sorbents you need to drink plenty of fluids. The water enhances their ability to bind toxins.
- activated carbon;
- white coal;
Drink plenty of liquids
The patients should drink water. This should be done after washing the stomach and intestines. Better to drink little by little, in small SIPS. Drink will reduce dehydration and improve health.
What to do with the loss of patient consciousness
In the case of severe alcohol poisoning victim may be unconscious, in a coma. You should check his breathing, heartbeat and put on a solid, level surface on its side. If you can't flip it sideways, turn at least the head. It is necessary for the prevention of tongue falling and zahlebyvayas vomit.
The pulse is checked at the carotid artery. Breathing can be checked by putting a man's hand on her chest, feeling the movement when you inhale and exhale. When you stop breathing and heartbeat should start chest compressions.
While on call, doctors begin first aid if poisoning alcohol. First they conduct a rapid assessment of the patient. Loved ones need to talk in detail the symptoms, describe the assistance that you have to make yourself, to give an approximate time consumption of patients of alcohol and its quantity.
What is first aid:
- cleaning the stomach through a tube held people in a state of unconsciousness;
- connecting a drip with medication to relieve alcohol intoxication;
- connect patient to oxygen through the mask;
- normalization of cardiac activity with the help of medicines.
Then doctors hospitalityat the patient to the toxicology Department or critical care. In hospital he had taken the blood of alcohol and toxins. The duration of hospitalization depends on the patient.
Hospital treatment may consist of:
- hemodialysis (blood purification). The patient connects a special apparatus "artificial kidney", which cleans all the blood. Hemodialysis is carried out for removal of toxins from the body. It is done when all poisonings with surrogate alcohol;
- the introduction of the antidote. When poisoning with methyl used the antidote is ethyl alcohol. It is administered to the patient intravenously in low concentration throughout the day. Only with the introduction of the antidote to avoid total blindness;
- intravenous fluids to eliminate intoxication (Trisol, disol, reopoligljukin, reosorbilakt, glucose).
Alcohol poisoning is a hazardous intoxication. It often becomes a cause of disability, permanent disability, blindness, death. Treatment of alcohol intoxication is a poison or intensive care unit. When the first symptoms of the disease should call the emergency medical team. Before the arrival of doctors you can try to flush the patient's stomach and intestines, give him the sorbents and drink.