Beer and diphenhydramine: compatibility and effects of mixing
Diphenhydramine is an antihistamine anti-allergic first-generation, have a pronounced sedative and calming effect. Combine it with alcoholic beverages is prohibited because of possible adverse reactions. In this article, we examined how the react with each other beer and diphenhydramine, and decided to find out why add this drug in this beer.
The description of the drug
Diphenhydramine comes in the form of tablets and solution for injections. He is appointed by the attending doctor. This drug belongs to the group of antihistamines first-line drugs, has a pronounced anti-allergic effect.
Self-medication with diphenhydramine dangerous not only for health but also for life. Take this medication after consultation with your doctor, and during treatment, need to adhere to the recommended dosages and regimens.
Even 10 years ago, diphenhydramine is very often used in medicine. Nowadays there are a large number of safer and effective anti-allergic drugs. But in some cases doctors prescribe it diphenhydramine. Especially often it is used by paramedics to eliminate acute allergic conditions.
The main indications for the appointment of diphenhydramine include the following diseases and pathological conditions:
- acute or chronic form of urticaria;
- angioedema angioedema;
- hay fever;
- vasomotor rhinitis;
- medication allergies;
- dermatoses, accompanied by itching;
- iridocyclitis in the acute stage;
- conjunctivitis of allergic etiology;
- transfusion of blood products;
- anaphylactic shock;
- bronchial asthma;
- radiation sickness;
- a large area of destruction of skin burns or frostbite;
- sea and air sickness;
- premedication before surgical interventions;
Diphenhydramine has a large number of contraindications. These include:
- individual drug intolerance, hypersensitivity thereto;
- pregnancy and breast-feeding;
- adenoma, or hypertrophy of the prostate;
- angle-closure glaucoma;
- peptic ulcer disease with stenosis for;
- pyloroduodenal obstruction;
- stenosis of the bladder;
The drug can be used in pediatric patients. It is not prescribed only for newborns and premature babies.
The combination of beer
Beer with diphenhydramine is absolutely impossible to combine. This drug is prohibited for intake with alcoholic beverages. This joint method leads to the development of dangerous and severe poisoning.
So why add diphenhydramine in beer? In the use of this drug along with alcohol a person begins to feel a mild euphoria, relaxation. The degree of intoxication increases. Diphenhydramine in beer leads to a change in the functioning of the Central nervous system, large doses can cause a coma.
When co-administered alcohol with diphenhydramine affects not only the nervous system but the liver. This drug, like alcohol, is split by enzymes produced that organ.
Even taking 1 or 2 tablets of diphenhydramine against the use of alcohol leads to malfunction of the body. A feeling of relaxation and euphoria does not last long. But replaced by symptoms of poisoning and alcoholic intoxication. People often practicing this combination, develop liver problems, which may even lead to cirrhosis, and drug hepatitis.
The use of diphenhydramine in high doses on a background of alcohol leads to overdose not only this drug, but alcohol. This condition to be treated or in the Department of toxicology or in intensive care. The consequences of poisoning may remain for a lifetime.
Symptoms of poisoning
Alcohol poisoning while taking diphenhydramine clinically begins to emerge within 1-2 hours. In humans, disrupted brain consciousness. In this state, intoxicated people may be injured, hit by a car, somewhere to fall or even fall out of the window.
In bars and restaurants, the attackers can mix diphenhydramine in beer or any other alcoholic beverage in order to "cut down" person.
Below are the symptoms that develop when the joint consumption of alcohol and diphenhydramine:
- Nausea and vomiting. These symptoms are dangerous to humans, as retching can develop in the setting of impaired consciousness. Choking vomiting can lead to asphyxiation and death.
- Violation of coordination of movements and motor skills. Man begins to sway from side to side, it can fall, fell on its side.
- Violation of the clarity and coherence of speech.
- A sharp and rapid jump in blood pressure. It may then fall, then to rise sharply.
- Severe headache and dizziness.
- Violation of visual acuity and susceptibility to bright light.
- Severe drowsiness and weakness.
- Disturbance of consciousness. People may fall into a stupor or coma.
The severity of poisoning depends on the quantity of consumed drug and alcohol. Try to find out from the patient,how many tablets of diphenhydramine it took and how much alcohol he drank.
What to do in case of acute poisoning
Poisoning diphenhydramine on the background of alcohol intoxication refers to particularly dangerous and difficult conditions. To treat it in a hospital. At the first symptoms you need to call an ambulance.
Before arrival of doctors personally try to help a poisoned person. Below are the actions that can alleviate the condition of the victim:
- If a poisoned patient is conscious and not asleep, you should try to clean his stomach cavity from the remnants of alcohol and drug. In order to wash out the stomach alone, the patient should drink several glasses of plain water and snatch it up. Retching can be triggered by pressing a finger on the root of the tongue.
- If you have any medications from the group of absorbents, give them to drink poisoned person. It can be activated carbon, sorbex, smectite, etc. to Give them only a person who is conscious. After the sorbents begin to unsolder the victim plain carbonated water, it will reduce the severity of intoxication and speed up the elimination of toxins.
- In the case of a disturbed mind need to put the intoxicated person on his side, in this state, the risk of aspiration of vomit into the respiratory tract is minimal. Do not leave the patient unattended before the arrival of the medical team.
Further treatment and first aid will be carried out by physicians who have arrived to the patient. After you have stabilized they hospitalitynet to the nearest emergency hospital. In the case of severe intoxications may require hemodialysis.
Summing up, I want to emphasize about the dangers of combining any alcoholic beverages with diphenhydramine. This combination may lead to acute poisoning and disturbance of consciousness. No need to risk your health and lives to achieve a fleeting feeling of mild euphoria and relaxation. This condition is fleeting and leads to the intensive care unit.