Palm oil: the harm and benefit to human health
Palm oil today is used in the manufacture of many food products. It is added everywhere, it improves the taste and structure of product. Also, this component is actively used for the manufacture of various cosmetics that are designed to improve skin, hair. But is this component useful. Especially this issue concerns those people who actively monitor the condition of your body. So, before you use palm oil, the harm and benefit of this product needs to be fully understood.
What is the product
Palm oil is a type oil, which is made by squeezing of the fruits of palm trees of special varieties. It is extracted not from seeds, as, for example, vegetable or linseed oil, and the pulp of the fruit. But the oil that is extracted from the seeds, called palm kernel oil.
A species of palm tree, which is extracted from the fruit this product grows in the regions of such countries as Africa, Malaysia, Indonesia. Due to the fact that this raw material has a low cost, it is actively used in food and cosmetic industry.
Palm oil products available in the industry of food and cosmetic appearance. So why is it actively used? First, it has a fairly low cost, and secondly, this product has a very rich composition. As part of this kind of oil contains the following elements:
- carotenoids. These elements actively participate in many vital processes of the body that are necessary for the normal functioning of the body;
- vitamin E. the vitamin, which consists of isomers of tocotrienols and Tocopherols;
- vitamin K. This element provides the increased protection of the body from all sorts of complications – ossification of cartilage, salt deposits on walls of blood vessels and others;
- polyunsaturated acids, which are attributed to the groups omega 3 and omega 6;
- palmitic acid accounted for approximately 50% of the total. This kind of fatty acids is the source of energy for the body and takes part in the process of synthesis of hormones;
- oleic acid belongs to the group of monounsaturated fat. This type of acid prevents the formation of cholesterol plaques in blood vessels;
- stearic acid;
- vitamin a and B4;
- macro - and microelements, among which the high content of iron and phosphorus;
- coenzyme Q10.
Palm oil high quality get just after having few procedures overtime. In the manufacture of this product using the method of pressing and pressing, after which formed a technical product unfit for food. In order to real butter, with the content of all of the above components, the raw material is subjected to five stages of treatment:
- The deodorization.
After five stages the production of the finished product can be used for food production and can be safely used in pure form.
In the manufacture of palm oil are produced in several types, depending on the quality and components of each type used in different areas. Thus, oil can be of three types:
- The red palm oil. This is the most natural look. For its production uses the most gentle techniques that allow to preserve the maximum amount of nutrients. The red color of this raw material is ensured by the high content of carotenoids. This product has no smell and sweet taste. It is used for raw consumption.
- Refined deodorized. Compared to red, this oil has a different structure. It has no color and smell. It is produced specifically for use in the food industry. It is not felt in the flavor, but it improves the structure and taste of many food ingredients.
- A technical look. This type has a low quality, it is unsuitable for food production. It is used in the production of cosmetics – Soaps, cosmetics, shampoos and other components.
Before you can understand how harmful or helpful palm oil for the human body, you should carefully consider all of its properties. Still, this raw material has been recently used for the manufacture of many cosmetic and food products, so it is important to know what the properties.
The main qualities of this raw material:
- Natural palm oil product has a reddish or red-orange structure, so it is also called red. This raw material has a nutty taste and smell;
- When holding this product at room temperature it becomes a liquid consistency, if the temperature rises, it becomes stringy structure, and at a temperature of below zero starts to harden.
- Has a high resistance to oxidation, so it can be stored for a long period, it does not lose its main characteristics.
- This product has a higher fat content. The composition of this raw material is extensive enough, it can detectthe high content of fatty acids, which have beneficial effects on the human body and it quickly digested.
- Natural oil of red color has superior antibacterial and wound healing qualities. Therefore, by consuming the elimination of pathogen development. In addition, it prevents the occurrence of inflammation.
Beneficial properties for health
Despite the fact that many argue that these raw materials are quite harmful and has a large number of harmful elements, all the same it is actively used for the manufacture of food products and red natural raw materials used directly in its raw form. If to compare the benefits and harms of palm oil to human health, the beneficial qualities will be much more. To understand this, it is necessary to consider the main useful qualities of this product:
- Due to the fact that the oil is red in its composition contains high content of carotenoids, it has a high level of antioxidant activity. The impact of these substances provides improved skin and hair.
- The high content of vitamin E also provides antioxidant properties to this product. This component refers to the vitamins "youth". He actively fights aging of the skin and neutralizes harmful impact of free radicals. This property prevents such a dangerous disease like cancer.
- Included in triplicity when ingested are digested quickly. These components penetrate into the liver, they do not penetrate into the composition of the blood current. Due to this property, this product is recommended to use for people who monitor the condition of your body, and those who poorly perceive other varieties of fats.
- Thanks to its composition of unsaturated fats for consumption of this product decreases the level of cholesterol in the blood, which ultimately is many times reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke. In addition, these substances participate in the formation of bone, have contributed to the increasing mobility of joints, improve the quality of the skin.
- The benefits of vitamin A. This component is essential to improve eyesight, especially children. Therefore, the oil is often found in baby food. This element provides an improvement of the analyzer assists the active production of the pigment that is responsible for visual function and located in the region of the retina.
Due to such a wide list of useful properties of this product often make the list of useful products for the human body. But it is not necessary to draw final conclusions, we need to examine and harmful properties of palm oil.
Harmful than palm oil? This question worries many people who carefully monitor the health of your body. Of course, you need to know what has palm oil is harmful for the body, because it affects the General condition.
So, the negative impact of palm oil can occur for several factors:
- In component there is an increased level of fats in a saturated form. Therefore, its consumption should be limited. What could be the harm of palm oil in food products? Excessive consumption of foods containing high levels of iodine may cause problems with the blood vessels and the heart, thereby increasing the risk of heart disease.
- Reduced content of linoleic acid. The composition of palm oil, this component is only 5%, but in other types of vegetable oils 71-76%. So this kind of oils has a low value.
- Due to the fact that this type of oil has high refractoriness, it is difficult excreted. If the diet has excessive amounts of this product, undigested residues in the body close up blood vessels and impair the functioning of the digestive system. This product has a higher carcinogenic properties and it is quite difficult to remove.
Therefore, many doctors recommend in the use of palm oil addition to consume foods that enhance bowel activity and contribute to the active elimination of carcinogenic components, toxins. Be sure to visit the saunas and baths. Also it is recommended to follow an active lifestyle. If all of these recommendations, you can quickly excrete harmful substances, as well as a perfect cleaning of the internal organs.
Content of palm oil in infant formula
For many parents, the use of palm oil in infant formula causes horror and fear for the health of your child. People often ask the main question – why is palm kernel oil used in the composition of baby food? So how harmful palm oil in infant formula? Many nutritionists and pediatricians argue that if part of it is natural, palm kernel oil, the fears parents have not in vain. This substance can have a negative impact on the digestive system of the infant and further may cause the development of many serious diseases.
But modern manufacturers of infant formula do not usepalm kernel acid, and palmitic acid, which is obtained after processing of the product. Through the use of modern technologies in the production of created maximum friendly products based on vegetable fat that can be used to food in infants.
Usually for the production of infant formulas use whey, which in the recycling process loses some of easily digestible proteins and minerals. But to compensate for these useful items and added palmitic acid. This component allows you to bring baby formula to the structure of breast milk.
Palm oil has both beneficial and harmful qualities that must be considered in its application. But do not assume that this product is poison and should completely eliminate from your diet. The first thing to do is to reduce the level of its use. This product can be used, but preferably in small quantities.
In addition, when buying some products it is necessary to follow important recommendations:
- As little as possible to buy and eat the ice cream, confectionery and bakery products.
- When buying food products need to carefully study the description on the packaging. If you have the vague phrase "vegetable fat", then this property will speak about the low quality of the product. Good manufacturers always indicate that the product contains palm oil, not hiding his presence.
- You need to buy the products made according to GOSTand not by the technical regulations.
- If the product is stored for a long period, so it has a high content palm oil.
- To abandon fast food.
In any case, the use of this product should comply with important recommendations. You should not assume that palm oil has a strong negative impact on health, just it the right way to eat. They don't need to abuse it. And, in moderation, is harm this oil, on the contrary, will have a positive impact on health.