Popcorn: benefits and harms to the human body
Popcorn is a favorite snack for many fans of the movies. For most people, going to the movies is not without a portion of crispy popcorn. But is it safe popcorn, whether it is good for people? In this article we have considered the benefits and harms of popcorn, its impact on the human body, the possibility of poisoning them.
The beneficial properties of popcorn
Popcorn is made from corn kernels. By heating them in oven or microwave oven, they burst and turned inside out, turning in a delicious and airy snack. Therefore, the useful properties of the popcorn is no different from those in maize. In small amounts it is useful for the body.
Below we have provided a list of useful qualities of popcorn:
- Helps to eliminate toxins from the intestines. Popcorn is able to clean the digestive tract from harmful chemicals and carcinogens.
- Enriches the body with vitamins and fiber.
- Thanks to low caloric content is suitable for people who are trying to bring your weight back to normal. Also popcorn quickly eliminates the feeling of hunger. A few handfuls is enough for the feeling of satiety, which is also important for losing weight people.
- Accelerates the metabolic processes in the body.
- Contains powerful antioxidants, polyphenols. These substances help in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases and cancer tumors.
All of the above useful qualities relevant only in relation to natural popcorn cooked without any flavorings, fats and flavorings.
Popcorn harmful to health? If we talk about natural popcorn cooked by a person alone, at home, out of ordinary corn, the harm of this product is minimal. It is contraindicated to use in food only to people suffering from diabetes and gastric ulcer.
Unfortunately, popcorn, sold on the shelves of our supermarkets and movie theaters, can "boast of" usefulness and safety for our body. In its composition many dangerous fat that when fried turn into carcinogens. Also it has a lot of salt or sugar, chemical flavoring, artificial additives.
Popcorn sold in stores in special bags for cooking in a microwave oven harmful to the body. It includes a lot of fats and flavors.
What is the harm of popcorn for the body:
- Salted popcorn can disrupt fluid and electrolyte balance. It leads to fluid retention in the body and edema. You probably noticed that after serving your favorite salty popcorn start really thirsty.
- Sweet popcorn regular use can cause excess weight and even obesity. Portion of such delicacy the caloric equal daily human needs in energy. Thus, excess calories are deposited as fat.
- Oil, on the basis of which is preparing the popcorn, can cause the growth of cancer and development of lung diseases. In the roasting process, it produces a dangerous substance, diacetyl. Scientists have proved that it is the cause of development of Alzheimer's disease and fibrosis of the lung tissue.
- Carbohydrates and fats, which is so greatly enriched popcorn, processed oil and flavorings, sugar, may lead to the development of diabetes, atherosclerosis and pancreatitis.
Many people wonder what is more harmful, popcorn or chips. In fact, if you compare with chips popcorn sold in movie theaters, no particular difference. Potatoes, like corn, provided it is of proper cooking without fats and large amounts of salt, does not bear special threat to the body. But when it is frying in oil or adding large amounts of salt, it becomes a threat to our health.
The popcorn with flavors and plenty of oil is absolutely contraindicated to pregnant women, children and people with diabetes, atherosclerosis and cardiovascular pathologies.
Poison popcorn and everyone can. This product, though, and does not apply to perishable, but during long-term storage is dangerous. It can be wound pathogenic bacteria and fungi. Also poisoning can occur when compliance with hygiene standards in its preparation and submission to customers in the cinema. Dirty hands personnel can be carriers of infections and bacteria.
Clinical manifestations of poisoning
Poisoning popcorn is clinically manifested during the first 12 hours after its use. Develop symptoms of food poisoning:
- Nausea and vomiting. Vomit may contain the remains of eaten popcorn, even if its use has been more than 4 hours. The thing is that when the stomach gets spoiled food, it may decrease motor skills. Thus, the body tries not to miss toxins on, not allowing them to get into the blood stream.
- Pain in the abdomen. She usually localized in the stomach, in the epigastrium.
- Flatulence, leading to intestinal colic.
- Diarrhea can be quiteabundant.
- Headache, weakness, dizziness.
- The fever is rare. It rises to subfebrile figures, 37-37.5 degrees.
Possible complications of poisoning
Popcorn poisoning can lead to complications. As a rule, they are associated with the irritating effect of the toxins on the mucous membrane of the digestive tract.
For possible complications of poisoning popcorn include:
- Gastritis – inflammation of the mucous membrane of the stomach. Manifested by heartburn, feeling of bloating of the stomach, nausea, vomiting, flatulence.
- Chronic pancreatitis. Thus the patient can torment encircling abdominal pain, loose stools, nausea, vomiting and General weakness. Also develop flatulence, flatulence.
- Acetoneiso syndrome. This complication is typical for children of preschool age. Occurs as pancreatitis. A characteristic smell of acetone breath toddler.
What to do in case of poisoning
With the development of popcorn poisoning you need to seek medical help. If the patient's condition deteriorates, he develops uncontrollable vomiting, increased body temperature, call an ambulance. In the case of a relatively stable state of the poisoned person, you can ask for help in the clinic.
You can give the patient first aid. Below we have listed the main components:
- Output the residues of toxins from the stomach. For this you have to chug 2-3 glasses of water and induce vomiting by pressing a finger on the root of the tongue. The water should be not aerated, room temperature. Potassium permanganate is not necessary to use.
- Give the patient to drink sorbents. These drugs should be in every home medicine Cabinet. Fit any drug from this group, for example, APSCO, activated carbon, enterosgel. Before receiving the sorbent, read the instructions carefully, pay attention to the rules of dispensing.
- Start to use poisoned person. It is best to use alkaline mineral water without gas. Should drink little and often. So you can SIP every five minutes. Such a drinking regime will protect the person from repeated vomiting attacks.
Further treatment will be prescribed by a doctor. It must include a special diet. For 7-10 days you should give up alcohol, coffee, greasy, spicy, sweet, smoked.
Popcorn is a useful and low-calorie product. But it is such only on condition of making it at home from regular corn kernels. The popcorn that is sold on the shelves of movie theaters and supermarkets, contains large amounts of harmful substances, can lead to obesity, cardiovascular and cancer diseases. Also popcorn can be poisoned. This poisoning occurs as a normal food. It should be treated under medical supervision. Do not self-medicate. In the end I want to add that any products, even store-bought popcorn, will not harm the body in moderate and rare use. If you are visiting the cinema, eat a small serving of popcorn with your favorite flavors, anything terrible will not occur.