Harmful energy-saving lamps to human health
Energy saving lamps for many years now enjoyed a high popularity among consumers. This is not surprising because they have a warranty period, and the diversity of forms allows to realize any designer's idea. They consume much less electric energy than incandescent lamp. In addition, such lighting devices are durable. However, what lies behind so many positive characteristics? Harmful energy-saving lamps for your health?
Compact fluorescent lamps are often called energy efficient, but it is wrong. Room lighting using LEDs also significantly reduces the consumption of electrical energy. Consider the principles of these two species.
The incandescent lamp emits light by the action of an electric discharge on a tungsten filament. Fluorescent light sources are arranged somewhat differently: electricity passes through the gas, thereby forming the ultraviolet glow. Its rays make Shine the phosphor deposited on the walls of the lighting device. As gas-forming substance is mercury. We all know that this element of the periodic table, are dangerous to humans by evaporation.
In office buildings all used to seeing tube fluorescent light. In order to protect the person, they are filled not with mercury and amalgam. If the lamp becomes damaged, people staying indoors, not facing toxic vapor poisoning.
Unlike fluorescent lamps, LEDs do not use substances containing mercury. This is the most environmentally friendly light sources. The device LED lamp uses a standard base, a Board with LEDs and driver to lower the voltage.
Such light sources can be considered completely safe, if not one "but": the quality of workmanship. Some manufacturers skimp on materials, in particular, on plastics. Also, sometimes in the manufacture of led lamps used lead, phenol and formaldehyde resins.
Advantages of energy saving lighting devices
Energy saving light bulbs are popular because they have several advantages:
- long service life under the condition that the light is not constantly turned on and off, and the device shines continuously for several hours;
- minimum power consumption – up to 80% less than conventional incandescent lamp;
- great warranty up to 1 year;
- the lamp heats up during operation, so it can be unscrewed after turning off with my bare hands.
As soon as energy-saving light bulbs appeared on the shelves, they immediately attracted the attention of the consumer. Significant savings of electrical energy is a worthy argument in favor of such light sources, however there is a flip side to the coin. The harmful effects of fluorescent and led lamps is expressed as follows:
The damage from it does not represent any danger to human life. However, experts say that if you count the number of continuously operating electrical appliances in the room, and to add on all the indicators, you get an impressive figure.
If you were to compare incandescent bulbs and energy saving light bulbs, a radio frequency field is detected from the second. This does not mean that the use of such lamps cannot, however, keep in mind the following:
- Not recommended to place energy-saving lamp near the bed or install it in the lamp. Within a radius of 15 cm, the radiation intensity increases, therefore, these lighting devices are better to hang from the ceiling.
- A small magnetic field is not able to turn into a severe illness, however it is one of the risk factors. In diseases of the cardiovascular and nervous systems this impact it is better to limit.
- Doctors are sounding the alarm about the use of multiple points of light with energy-saving lamps in children's and bedrooms. Even a small radiation gradually depresses the immune system. As a result, exacerbated chronic diseases and reduces the body's resistance to respiratory infections.
Interference in the mains
With regard to fluorescent lighting, they are not designed that they are constantly switched on and off. Initially, they were used for lighting of public places where they burned continuously – only in this case, the savings provided.
When the lamp is switched on, it gives an additional load on the grid. The voltage begins to change with high intensity, which can lead to short circuit and failure of multiple devices home appliances. This does not apply to led lights: they use the network is not "polluted".
Incorrect color rendering energy saving lamps can reduce visual acuity. Blue shades of led light sources and the bright white color of fluorescent lamps distort perception and adverse effect on the nervous system. When you purchase the "housekeepers" you should always pay attention to the rating of the manufacturer. The lamp shouldemit a warm yellow – then it is quality.
As mentioned earlier, inside fluorescent lamps is mercury a little to 5 mg. This dose is not lethal, but so many heavy metal can also be poisoned, if energy saving lamp broken in a closed room. Mercury evaporates without any disturbing odor, he can breathe toxic gases, suspecting nothing.
In just a few minutes, the concentration of toxic substances in air exceeds maximum permissible in 160 times! Therefore, if the lamp breaks, immediately open all the Windows. In addition, it is better to try to collect mercury in a jar with water or rinse the surface with a solution of potassium permanganate. If the mercury has been collected, then the jar must be closed tightly and taken to a sanitary station for the disposal.
Utilisation of energy saving lamps
Once the lamp has served its time, it must be disposed of. What if she burned out? It all depends on its type.
- Led light bulbs do not pose any danger to the environment and to human health, so if the device is open, it can be disposed of in the trash. However, it would be more useful to collect such wastes and Deposit them as recyclables.
- Fluorescent lamps contain mercury, so throwing them away is impossible. Of course, the majority ignores this rule, and we can only guess, as this negligence affects the ecological state of the planet. Outdated lighting fixture you need to take the district office of DES, where they know how to recycle.
District DEZ can refuse to accept such wastes. In this case we have to look for a firm that deals with disposal of lamps and to pay for its services. Therefore, when buying fluorescent lamps need to immediately count on the fact that it will have to be disposed of.
Given that mercury is a danger to the environment and to human health, fluorescent lamps are essentially lose the LEDs and halogen lamps. Even in European countries have long been removed from production of mercury thermometers. So why to risk and to use fluorescent lamps?
Professionals believe that such lighting does not deserve attention, and the only purpose of a smooth transition from incandescent lamps to led lamps.
Indeed, the lifetime of LEDs depends on the number of on / off, no need to wait until the lamp is warmed up and begin to Shine brighter, and recycle them together with other solid waste. Quality products are of the correct color temperature and do not create eye strain.
So, we learned that not only a compact tubular fluorescent lamp can be called energy saving. Currently, it has worthy competitors in this field – led and halogen lighting.
Not so long ago not everyone could afford to purchase LED lamp, but today prices are reduced and acceptable for all. In addition, energy savings and long service life, quickly pay for the cost of the lamp. Fluorescent lamps are a good option for lighting offices, but for home it is better to stop the choice on the LEDs.