What happens if you drink expired Paracetamol
Paracetamol is widely used in the treatment of diseases that occur with high temperature and inflammation. This drug is quite inexpensive, which is why it often take for the future. It happens that while a febrifuge useful shelf life expires and in this case the question arises, what happens if you drink expired Paracetamol?
When you take Paracetamol
Paracetamol taking in many pathologies. This drug addresses a high temperature, pain and inflammation. Medication may be prescribed to patients of different age groups. It is administered to infants and elderly people. This medication is considered non-toxic. It rarely leads to side effects, especially if taken in a therapeutic dosage.
Paracetamol is produced in different dosage forms. It can be purchased in the form of tablets, capsules, solution, powder, effervescent tablets and syrup. The latter form is designed to treat small children. The main indications for use are:
- High temperature, which is for respiratory diseases, infections and pathologies of inflammatory nature.
- Bad toothache. In this case, febrifuge, it is advisable to taken with Diclofenac.
- Migraines that are caused by mental and physical strain.
- Headache, which is a consequence of meteozavisimosti.
- Severe pain in the throat, in tonsillitis, laryngitis and pharyngitis.
- Muscle and joint pain.
- Pain and fever during teething in young children.
- Ear pain in otitis.
The popularity of Acetaminophen is due to the high efficiency, low price and small percentage of side effects. This drug has some contraindications, so it can be used for the treatment of patients of different age groups. The shelf life is 2 years after working life to apply the medicine not recommended, especially for the treatment of younger children.
Some doctors believe that if the medication was stored in a cool and dry place, without fear for the health of it can take a few months after the expiration date. However, drinking heavily overdue Paracetamol is not recommended, because the health consequences can be unpredictable.
The research was conducted, in which it was revealed that the composition of expired Paracetamol does not change. To take medicine that expired more than a year, not worth it, because the consequences can be sad.
What happens if you drink expired medicine
If you drink an expired Paracetamol, no consequences may not be, but it's all individual. If the medication expired quite a bit, no harmful effects on the body he will have, but with a significant delay and incorrect storage of drug, the consequences can be quite sad.
Most pharmacists believe that the tablets or capsules, overdue for a year with no negative effect on the body will have, but only in the case when they were stored under appropriate conditions, for example, in the refrigerator.
Do not give expired drugs only to especially sensitive groups of people, which include children of all ages, pregnant and lactating women. It is worth considering that the child's body is highly sensitive to any negative factors, so the effects of treatment expired drugs can be serious.
If after taking an expired Paracetamol appeared all the signs of poisoning, the patient should be provided first aid and then call the doctor. Emergency care is such action:
- The patient the stomach is washed to remove residual drug.
- Give adsorbents, in this case, will suit absolutely any drugs in this group. If adsorbents in the patient gives to drink a lot of salt water and induce vomiting.
- If there is Allergy, then give the patient antihistamines.
If the symptoms of intoxication is pronounced, the victim must show the doctor. If we are talking about the child, the emergency call must be immediate.
Nursing women should refuse to accept expired medicines, as they can negatively affect the health of the baby.
When receiving expired medicines is justified
Despite the fact that expired medicines can lead to unpredictable consequences, in some cases, the ingestion of such drugs is justified. Doctors recommend even to resort to expired medications in such cases:
- If the temperature rose at night, and the home kit was not a fresh drug.
- If the person is away from home and the benefits of civilization and the condition of it really.
In other cases it is better to refuse such treatment and to go to the pharmacy. In extreme cases, the pharmacy can get someone of your friends or acquaintances.
Many pharmacies offer a delivery service of medicines at home, so you can always buy fresh medication.
When to take expired Paracetamol not
In some cases, overdue Paracetamol should not use. It is impossible to take medications, even with a smalldelay in such cases:
- If they were stored in a hot or moist place.
- If drugs was in the car first aid kit. Here, the storage conditions are not met, as the heat gives way to cold regularly.
- It is impossible to give the tainted medication to children and pregnant women.
- Do not drink these medicines in case if you have a chronic illness of the liver and kidneys.
If the house has no fresh Paracetamol, it is better not to risk and to appeal to the neighbors, surely someone of them medicine there.
A home first aid kit should be periodically reviewed, expired medicines be discarded and in their place to buy a new one.
Expired drugs is better not to be treated. But if the shelf-life of Acetaminophen have expired a couple of months ago and it was stored in proper conditions, it is still possible to take. Do not give medicines that have expired children and pregnant women.