Harm and benefits of vitamin C for the human body
Vitamins are involved in the functioning of all internal organs and systems. Without their constant supply in the human body life is impossible. Especially important is ascorbic acid. Therefore, it is necessary to remember, what is the use of vitamin C for the body and in what dosage it should be consumed.
What useful properties has vitamin C
Vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, is not synthesized in the human body. We got it can only from the outside. This substance has a extensive list of useful properties:
- Enhances the activity of the endocrine glands. Thus the process of assimilation of iron is faster. It helps to fight against anemia.
- Strengthens the walls of blood vessels. Ascorbic acid stimulates the production of proteoglycans. These substances are responsible for the elasticity of blood vessels. As a result, they are better stretched and quickly return to their original state.
- To take ascorbic acid is necessary for those who want to remain young and beautiful. It has a powerful antioxidant effect.
- Strengthens the immune system. Because of this body better able to resist diseases.
- To drink vitamins especially recommended in chronic diseases. Vitamin C helps to cope with diabetes, diseases of the cardiovascular system. It is often prescribed to people who have had a heart attack or stroke.
- Regular consumption of this substance will help improve the overall health of the person. It charges with vital energy and gives strength and desire to move forward.
- Speeds up the healing process of wounds, ulcers, and other injuries of the skin.
- Helps to cope with high blood pressure. This effect is achieved due to the fact that vitamin C promotes vasodilation. It becomes the prevention of atherosclerotic deposits, increasing concentrations of cholesterol.
- The use of ascorbic acid is indicated for lead poisoning. It has good detoxifying effect.
- Reduces the likelihood of developing cancer. This is indicated by the results of numerous studies of scientists.
- This vitamin is involved in the functioning of the brain. Its use improves mood and tones.
Sufficient amounts of ascorbic acid will help to preserve the beauty and health. This significantly reduces the chance of development of viral and infectious diseases.
Vitamin C stimulates metabolic processes in the body. In this regard, its use is recommended for those who want to get rid of extra pounds.
What causes lack of vitamin C
Insufficient consumption of ascorbic acid can lead to negative consequences for the body. This can develop the following diseases:
- Scurvy. With insufficient intake of vitamin C stops the process of collagen. The result of this becomes the degeneration of the tissues of the body. Because of this, the gums begin to bleed, rash, can cause bleeding, anemia. The disease is accompanied by loss of teeth, severe pain. Currently, this disease is extremely rare.
- Cataract. Studies show that lack of concentration of ascorbic acid in the retina of the eye can provoke cataracts.
- Immunodeficiency. With a shortage of this substance the body's defenses are weakened. The person usually begins to ache, which appeared worse than the disease can be cured, the therapy takes a lot of time and effort.
- Fatigue. There is a decrease in performance, people moves harder difficulty, tires easily and gets depressed.
In order to avoid such negative consequences, it is necessary to provide a constant flow of vitamins. If fresh vegetables and fruits is not enough, you can resort to specialized drugs.
To select a specific vitamin and mineral complex is needed only together with your doctor. He will be able to determine the dosage that is necessary for you.
Can vitamin C harm your health
Excessive consumption of ascorbic acid harmful to health. But it is worth noting that cases of overdose are extremely rare. This is due to the fact that the substance does not accumulate in the human body. If overdose does happen, there is upset stomach and a sharp decrease in the concentration of vitamin B12.
Ascorbic acid can increase the acidity of gastric juice. So it is with caution to be taken by people suffering from gastritis and ulcers. It can cause aggravation and other diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
The dangers of vitamin C in the fact that its excessive consumption can cause an increase in blood viscosity. This increases the likelihood of developing thrombophlebitis. Affects people suffering from cardiovascular diseases.
With the use of ascorbic acid in tablet form may develop allergic reactions. In such a situation, the drug should immediately stop. After consult a doctor.
Which contains vitamin C
Modern scientists have come tothe conclusion that to maintain health a person should consume 500 mg of ascorbic acid per day. For children the dose is reduced to 100 mg. to this amount of material from the following fruits and vegetables:
- Citrus: lemon, grapefruit and orange. No wonder when viral diseases are recommended to drink more tea with lemon.
- Fresh herbs, especially parsley and sorrel.
To benefit from these products only if they are of good quality, grown without pesticides and nitrates. In addition, they must be fresh. Vitamin C is rapidly destroyed under the action of sunlight. Therefore, special attention should be paid to the correct storage of products. When in contact with metal products ascorbic acid is also destroyed. For cooking you need to use an enamel or glass dish. For mixing use the spatula of plastic or wood.
The harm and benefit of vitamin C is dependent on the correctness of its use. If you regularly use products in which it is contained and not exceed the recommended dosages, you will feel cheerful and healthy.