Harmful if ceilings are to human health
Saying "repair is worse than a fire" has become irrelevant with the time when there was a modern materials and technologies, allowing to transform any home into a beautiful, cozy and modern house. But every phenomenon has two sides of the coin: the market of finishing materials there are items that are used in a residential area is undesirable. For example, harmful if the ceilings for the health question requires careful consideration as to who is planning renovations, and for anyone concerned about his own wellbeing.
Any thing can carry a potential threat – even the purest water becomes a toxin if it is consumed in quantities greater than 10 liters. For one person the material of the ceilings, will be a major allergen, on the other, on the contrary, will not have any negative effects.
It would seem that to define the line after which the particular product is considered to be unsafe, impossible, but it isn't. There is the environmental standard ISO on the basis of which the manufacturer is issued a security certificate.
When choosing a company engaged in the installation of ceilings, it is necessary to require the presentation of a certificate of environmental ISO, and if the company is unable to provide it, request a service she didn't need.
To know what is the certificate needed in advance of the date of the appeal in any company. Unfortunately, unscrupulous sellers often forge documents giving hand-made and printed document for the certificate of quality and compliance standards.
Is there a difference in manufacturers
In the price lists of services most firms engaged in the installation of ceilings, indicated two country-spec. model: China and Belgium are, in fact, the vast majority of materials produced in China. And even those materials which are marketed as "Belgian" or "European", often produced in China.
But this does not mean a priori low quality product: "factory" materials with the necessary certification can have wonderful characteristics.
As for the materials from Belgium, it is not about the manufacturer and the supplier that buys the goods in China. Plants or factories that manufacture materials for suspended ceilings, on the territory of Belgium does not exist.
What harm can carry ceilings
Before we find out the harm of stretch ceilings, you need to know what it is and what types of ceilings offer a modern company in the market of repair and finishing works.
Suspended ceilings – the design of the mount for visual alignment of the plane of the ceiling, giving it a certain color and design. Mounting is a fastening of guide rails along the entire perimeter of the ceiling with the subsequent tension to a selected material.
The material for such ceiling structures is of two types:
- polyvinyl chloride (PVC).
Externally the two materials, if done in the same design – the white color, do not differ from each other. But the compositions are radically different: a fabric made of polyester material, impregnated with polyurethane. These ceilings are "breathable" and are installed "cold method" that is, without using a special gun with hot air.
The price of the fabric ceiling is higher than the analogue of PVC, but taking into account the security aspects of textile materials is, of course, are more suitable for the dwelling. Such ceilings in the nursery or in the bedroom of the allergic person will be invaluable.
Polyvinyl ceilings do not differ in such characteristics, therefore consideration of the insecurity of the suspended ceilings will include primarily information about the dangers of PVC.
PVC ceiling is a great variety of designs: matte and glossy, colored and white, translucent and pearlescent, they allow you to implement any idea. But it is important to understand: will the flight of design ideas for decorating the ceiling method to harm your health?
The composition of the PVC
The polyvinyl chloride consists of petroleum products, while most of it can borrow to give a material certain characteristics:
- protection from mold;
- flexibility, etc.
If to speak about potentially hazardous substances that may be contained in the composition material for low-quality suspended ceilings, we can identify the following four names:
- Phenol – this term is normally hidden carbolic acid which is a substance with a low melting point and toxic fumes.
Pair of phenol can easily penetrate the body through the respiratory system, digestive tract and even skin. It tends to accumulate in the body, only partially vividas urine. Pair of phenol have a toxic and a local irritant. To recognize phenol poisoning can be severe weakness, vomiting, cramps mucosa, reduce blood pressure, dark urine, which is even more dark in the air. Chronic poisoning by small doses accompanied by a decrease of body weight under normal diet, diarrhea, dizziness. Medicalthe examination revealed enlargement of the liver, kidney and lungs, disorders of the nervous and digestive systems.
- Cadmium – a carcinogen that in small doses is contained in tobacco smoke. When inhaled, it accumulates in the liver, kidneys and blood, causing the symptoms of intoxication, loss of calcium from bones, malignant tumors. Cadmium is a heavy metal that is classified as "highly hazardous substance", so inhalation of vapors can provoke swelling of the tissues of the respiratory system, nausea, vomiting, and even cause death.
- Methylbenzol – a toxic substance of plant origin, which are able to affect all systems in the body, including the brain. In chronic poisoning of etilbenzola a person has multiple organ failure, deterioration of cognitive function, irritation of skin and mucous membranes.
- Chlorine in gaseous form is a strong toxin. If exposed to vapours of chlorine on the body reacts the mucous membrane of the eyes and respiratory tract. When the concentration of allowable amount in the blood there is a narrowing of the glottis and respiratory arrest. Sometimes the breath does not stop, and becomes surfaces, with the result that comes hypoxia and loss of consciousness.
How to determine harm suspended ceilings
Unfortunately, until the time of installation of the ceilings to reveal their harm is extremely difficult. After the fact will help to Orient the smell: a heavy, sweetish smell, vaguely reminiscent of oil paint:
- if the smell has disappeared completely in 2 days – this indicates the high quality PVC material, not bearing any harm to the body;
- if the smell present in the room 10-14 days after installation, the material quality is acceptable, but it is important in the mentioned period of time not to be in the room until the harmful substances is completely disappear;
- in that case, if the smell persists longer than two weeks, it speaks of a very low quality material, dangerous to human health, such ceilings should be removed.
A small tip when choosing a company engaged in installation of stretch ceilings, could serve as a recommendation to look for people who have already used the services of a particular firm and may share the information about the presence or absence of odor.
You can find them among friends, colleagues, placing the ad on the page of a social network, or posting a thread in the forum.
According to doctors, there is another aspect that deserves attention when considering the question of harm suspended ceilings is the"greenhouse effect" in the room. For the first time about the phenomenon of talking in the beginning of the popularity of plastic Windows, and after the floors were covered with laminate from unnatural material, walls – vinyl Wallpaper, and ceilings – stretched canvases of PVC, the problem became really urgent.
Of course, the harm to the "greenhouse effect" is much less than from poisoning with toxic vapors. But the lack of natural air circulation in the room leads to a violation of the microclimate, resulting in the room can appear mold, various fungi, etc.
Therefore, the application of synthetic materials that do not leak air, it is necessary to devise a system of ventilation. In this case, the harm from stretch ceilings from PVC and other materials for the floor and walls will not.
The Flammability of the material
If you consider benefit of suspended ceilings comprehensively, it is impossible not to mention the combustibility of the material, i.e. its toxicity when exposed to high temperatures. Part of the damage from the Flammability of the material can be felt already during the installation of ceilings: when heated to 70 degrees they start to emit an odor, which for the most part is the vapors of phenol.
In case of fire, the temperature acting on the material of PVC, will be much higher. Chlorine, a part of the material prevents fire, so PVC just smoldering, filling the room with toxic vapors.
Therefore, there is a serious risk that people trapped in the room where the fire occurred, will lose consciousness from the smoke and toxic poisoning during the melting of synthetic materials used in the repair and finishing of premises.
In that case, if a person is lucky enough to get out of the blaze to fresh air, it will still need the urgent assistance of a physician who needs to assess the extent of the poisoning and to provide appropriate expert assistance.
Stretch ceilings – perfect for repair, which will not only quickly make the ceiling smooth, without resorting to troublesome methods of plastering and putty. In addition, a variety of design solutions will allow to make the interior space unique.
But with the renovations it is necessary to remember about the main rules of choice of safe materials for decoration of the ceiling:
- the fabric material is preferably PVC;
- for children's rooms and rooms where the allergic, suitable fabric stretched ceiling;
- when a persistent chemical odor in the room after a two-week period from the date of installation of ceilings, the material need to be removed, and the room –ventilate thoroughly;
- to order the service of installation can only be proven companies that have solid recommendations;
- upon detection of the symptoms of poisoning by phenol, chlorine, cadmium or etilbenzola, it is necessary to leave the premises immediately and seek medical help.
Under these rules of the ceilings will not cause deterioration of health and well-being, but rather give a sense of comfort and beauty in the house.