How to do an enema to the newborn at home
During the first month of life the child's digestive system had not developed, so there may be different issues. If the baby is fully breastfeeding, the constipation he occur infrequently, and that if a nursing mother does not adhere to a proper diet. It is quite another thing when the infant is on artificial feeding or supplementation specific volume of the mixture. This leads to digestive disorders and constipation, the baby is behaving very restlessly. All parents should know how to do an enema to the newborn at home. This will allow, if necessary, to perform the procedure independently, without visiting a pediatrician.
A normal chair for a baby
Before you put enema young child, you need to understand exactly how normal should look like stool in children up to 1 month. In certain cases parents need to wait and the problem will be resolved in a natural way, and in some cases the baby to help empty the bowel, to avoid problems with the digestive system.
Baby chair is entirely dependent on the type and mode of nutrition. Okay, kids, breastfeeding may poop up to 10 times per day or only 5 times throughout the day. Both of these situations are considered perfectly normal and do not require klishirovannyh.
The chair of the child is dependent on the diet of lactating women and of the volume of milk produced. The type and volume of bowel movements may change every day, but if the child is sprightly, active, not nervous during bowel movements, so no reason for worries. Digestive system of the newborn must independently be formed and to develop an individual mode of purgation.
Kids who are fed a special formula, can poop 1-2 times a day. If the stool with this diet is no more than 3 days, shows an enema to the newborn.
Before you do an enema the baby, you need to understand exactly what this procedure there is a need.
Causes of constipation
Constipation is quite solid in consistency of stool, which depart once every 3-4 days or even less. It gives the newborn discomfort. Most often constipation in children up to a month to happen for the following reasons:
- Failure to comply with the dietary diet of a nursing mother. Usually constipation in infants is preceded by excessive consumption of starchy or meat products.
- Premature choice of formula milk for baby iskusstvenniy;
- Congenital bowel disease that is characterized by difficult passage of feces.
In two cases, the problem is easily solved by adjusting the power lactating women or changing formula. When there is suspicion of abnormalities of the digestive system, you need to go to the local doctor, who will prescribe a series of studies for pathology.
Is strictly prohibited at the slightest suspicion on disease of the digestive organs to self-medicate. This leads to irreparable consequences!
What harm can be from enemas
If enema for infants in the home is used only on the recommendation of the doctor, and not at the whim of the parents, as usual, then no harm will not, on the contrary, it will help a little. But the damage from enemas could be, especially when it's performed quite often:
- The beneficial microflora in the gut in the first month of life begins to form and washed away by water, so trying to help baby constipation enema, adults are at risk only aggravate the situation. The child in this case is the lack of useful micro-organisms for processing food.
- In Calais there are many toxic substances which the human body tries to cleanse yourself. Water getting into baby's intestines, dilutes them, and promotes the absorption in the walls, whereby poisoning of the body. Therefore, to perform the procedure you need quickly to minimize the time spent softened faeces in the intestine.
- When the enema to the newborn is very common, this gradually leads to addictive and self-defecation, without assistance, is difficult.
After applying the enema in a young child up to one month, it is necessary to gently massage the baby's tummy. It's faster to begin the process of defecation, and stay softened stool in the intestine will be reduced.
Indications for enemas
Enema to infants with constipation are shown in some cases, when chips fail to empty on their own or need to quickly cleanse the body of toxic substances:
- If your baby is a long time not pooping myself. However, he tenses up, panting and nervously pulls the legs. The tummy of the baby who suffers from constipation, tight and swollen in appearance.
- When there is intoxication with harmful substances or has a severe allergic reaction.
- To do an enema to infants is permissible in medicinal purposes for quick input of some medicines.
- For the rehabilitation of the bowel before using rectal suppositories – analgesic or antipyretic.
Must consult with a pediatrician or precinctnurse about the advisability of this procedure. Experts can tell you how to properly do an enema of an infant. They will explain all the nuances of how much water you need to take and how to gently introduce.
Often if the newborn is suffering from constipation, should this fact to draw the attention of health workers. You may need to change the menu lactating women or change the formula for feeding.
Preparation for the procedure
Before you put an enema baby you need to careful prepare:
- A small rubber syringe before use is required to boil and then, without pulling out bowls with water, cool. Boiling is necessary even in the case where pear is clean and sterilized after last use.
- Prepare a solution for infusion. To do this, take the usual lukewarm water or herbal teas are allowed children of medicinal plants with the addition of vegetable oils.
The temperature of the water for the enema should not be more than 30 degrees, too hot solution can injure the mucosa or increase the absorption of toxins.
- Prepare a place for the procedure. Make a changing table or a crib with a dense cloth, and then put a soft flannel diaper.
- Next you need to pull a pear from the bowl of water to remove all the air and remaining water, after filling the solution, the amount of which shall be appropriate to the age of the baby.
Newborn up to the age of months you can pour no more than 25 ml of water. Baby up to six months is permitted to pour enema 30 to 60 ml of water or medicinal water. Child from 6 months to one year is allowed to supply up to 130 ml of liquid once. If you exceed the recommended amount, it is possible to injure the intestinal wall.
High enema for the baby in the house and not spend. This procedure is allowed only within the walls of medical facilities.
How to get an enema
To this procedure was the most effective, you need to follow some rules:
- The baby laid on the backrest, with the feet bent so that they are tightly pressed against the stomach.
- The tip of a rubber pear smeared with a fat cream or vaseline. In addition, lubricate the anus of the baby to facilitate the formulation of an enema.
- Careful movement, without effort, enter the rubber tip into the baby's anal passage, not more than 2 cm, then gently extruded from the syringe the liquid.
- Rubber bulb, continuing to shake, carefully removed, during this buttocks crumbs squeeze a second hand to prevent leakage of the liquid;
- After only about a minute to soften the feces and babe scat.
Enema newborn baby you can do no more than once a week and only in the case when there is a need. More frequent use of any good will not bring.
Some young parents, on the advice of grandparents, instead of an enema use a piece of usual children's soap, which inserts the child into the anus to poop.
Baby, of course, is emptied quickly, but the soap is considered to be quite aggressive treatment for delicate children's intestines. This leads to inflammation of the intestinal wall or even burns. Doing this is strictly forbidden!
What to pay attention
There are a few recommendations of doctors that need to be taken into consideration at the preparation to the procedure and its conduct:
- The syringe should be only with rubber tipto avoid scratching the delicate mucus membrane of the child's intestine.
- Before preparation for the procedure two times to wash their hands or treat them with a disinfectant solution.
- After the procedure a rubber syringe washed with soap and water, and then boiled and hidden in a special cotton bag until next use.
- During the procedure, the baby must be absolutely quiet. If it will twitch or cry, there is a risk of damaging the intestines.
- To resort to the enema is possible only in exceptional cases, when the baby is not help prescribed age laxatives.
In addition to the enemas, when persistent constipation in newborns, you can use a glycerin suppository. They are absolutely harmless and allowed the kids. Use them only on doctor's orders and not very often to avoid habituation.