How to distinguish vomiting from regurgitation in infants
The state of health of a newborn baby is very fragile. Any aggressive effects of the environment can cause in the body certain reactions, some of which are completely normal, others require immediate medical care.
All deviations that occur in the baby's health, parents need to closely monitor. If necessary, they should be given the newborn baby first aid. To be able to distinguish one condition from another, you need to pay attention to several factors.
How to distinguish vomiting from regurgitation in infants:
- It is necessary to analyze the amount, character, smell otrygivaetsja mass.
- To fix the interval during which the process of rejection of food.
- To pay attention, followed by a retching.
Depending on the obtained observations, we can conclude about the state of Chad, and then provide him with the necessary assistance.
Regurgitation in infants is a normal physiological process. It represents the discharge of trapped in the cavity of the stomach while the baby ate. Reflux is observed in 70% of all newborns, especially if they are bottle-fed or have to be poor attachment to the breast. If the grip is incorrect the nipple, together with the milk the baby will suck a lot of air and cause regurgitation.
The main reasons:
- Frequently repeating reflux is observed in preterm weakened children. This is due to the immaturity of the digestive tract, as well as deficiency of enzymes that help digest food.
- Overfeeding also can cause regurgitation. More often this condition is observed in artificial nutrition, when feeding is not in demand by leaps and bounds.
- Poor latching nipple provokes the induction of a large quantity of air along with breast milk.
- The disproportionate rate of sucking, as the hole in the nipple that is on the bottle for feeding, provokes the infant to swallow food faster.
- Excessive flatulence also violates the processes of digestion.
- Pathology in the development of the digestive tract.
Regurgitation, in contrast to vomiting, do not pose a serious danger to the health of the young organism.
If you have similar predisposing factors, and all signs point to regurgitation, should be feeding so as to avoid rejection of part of the food. Especially it is necessary to pay attention when there is insufficient weight gain, if it has a constant tendency.
Signs of regurgitation:
- the detachable portion of the mass is not more than a tablespoon, which significantly differs from vomiting;
- occurs directly after food for the first few minutes;
- overall health is not impaired;
- happens once.
If all indicators of an organism in norm, the child feels good and not naughty, most likely, regurgitation are not dangerous to his health.
How to help your child
There are some basic rules that help to reduce the amount of regurgitation to the minimum marks or even prevent them altogether. This should adhere to all medical recommendations, clearly organize the process of feeding, as well as to monitor the child's condition immediately after it.
Especially this issue concerns mothers who feed mixture. They do not understand whether after vomiting still to Supplement. Experts on this score argue that if the number otrygivaetsja mass does not exceed a tablespoon, child supplementary feeding is not needed.
Since reflux occurs in most infants, some procedures can be performed as prophylaxis to prevent trigiani part of the diet.
What should be done:
- do not overfeed the child, to give the necessary amount of mixture at a specific time;
- to monitor the quality of capturing the nipple with your mouth the crumbs;
- do not start to feed if baby cries;
- you can buy a special nipple for the bottle which prevents air from entering the esophagus;
- after eating you can carry your baby upright for 10 minutes.
Such manipulations are carried out regularly as preventive maintenance, will greatly facilitate the life of parents, as well as improve the well-being of their beloved child. If after following these procedures, the condition does not improve, it is possible to say that the rejection of food is vomit.
Parents should determine whether the vomiting is, if necessary, call an ambulance or take the child to the pediatrician. The timely organization of medical actions depends on the health and well-being of the child, in some cases his life.
To distinguish vomiting from regurgitation in the newborn is possible by the following symptoms:
- volumes srygivaniya mass exceeds the tablespoon;
- vomiting may be associated with meals or to appear regardless of them;
- overall health of the child deteriorates, increased sweating, pale skin;
- the infant, pain in the stomachthe reason why he starts to lift up legs or jerk them.
- do not help manipulation, involving the prevention of regurgitation.
The baby began to cry, his condition is characterized by a moodiness and sleepiness, there is a refusal to eat or cry during feeding. Body temperature can rise to subfebrile marks (37-37. 5 degrees). When experiencing such symptoms, you should have a baby first aid, then call your doctor.
If the child is under 1 month, you can come for a consultation at the hospital.
On the occurrence of a small child vomiting may be affected by many factors. Parents should look at what could provoke this condition to accurately answer the questions of the doctor. When joined by additional symptoms, they should also tell the specialist.
Why you may see vomiting in the newborn:
- poisoning nursing mothers;
- poorly washed feeding bottles, nipples;
- intestinal infection;
- illiterate approach to the selection of the mixture;
- a concussion;
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
Any of these conditions is a major cause for seeking help from a doctor. Some diseases, which occurred vomiting, can provoke many health problems. Dehydration that occurs with regular regurgitation of large quantities of food can be detrimental to the health of the baby. However, until the arrival of the ambulance the parents alone can alleviate the condition of their child.
What should I do
Before the inspection pediatrician forbidden to take almost all drugs. The treatment is to replenish fluid lost by the body and calming the baby as his constant cry will provoke even more retching. In the absence of contraindications is not forbidden to give smektu that can be diluted in the bottle, or a pill of activated charcoal.
For the prevention necessary to monitor the lifestyle and nutrition of the child. Regularly wash the dish, which is served baby food. It is recommended to treat the nipples and don't use the mixture that remained after feeding on next time. Especially do not need to keep a bottle of food out of the refrigerator.
A nursing mother needs to make hygiene chest as well as to keep track of which products fall within its body. Poisoning of the mother will affect her baby.
It is not recommended to leave a child unattended, as it is fraught with falls, head trauma with all its consequences.
The health of the newborn crumbs depends on the vigilance of his parents. We should not lose sight of the slightest sign of deterioration of the little man. You should promptly consult with a competent pediatrician so the baby will grow up healthy and happy.