Diarrhea and vomiting in infants: causes and treatment
Vomiting in a child can be caused by a variety of reasons. Episodes are not uncommon for newborn babies digestive systems are only adaptable to working outside the womb. But to completely ignore the appearance of vomiting is impossible. First, this symptom may indicate the development of serious pathologies. And secondly, after repeated its repetition significantly increase the risk of dehydration a small body. If the baby is vomiting, time to play roulette and to self-medicate, randomly selecting diagnoses. Only a pediatrician can establish the true cause of this unpleasant symptom. The task of the parents in this situation is to help the child to visit the doctor.
When not to panic
To be objective, then no need to panic never. Because maternal head cold in difficult situations will be much more useful hot heart. But now not about it...
There are conditions in which can be plenty of regurgitation, similar to vomiting. This is not to say about the course of pathological processes, and is more of a reflex character. So if these are isolated episodes, and in the vomit there are no some impurities, it is possible that the vomiting was provoked by the following reasons:
- swallowing air in the process of breast-feeding or bottle-feeding;
- the imperfection of the vestibular apparatus;
- excessive amounts of breast milk or formula (overeating);
- enough shredded complementary foods;
- stay of the baby in the excited state immediately after a feeding (for example, active games);
- the process of teething.
Such vomiting in the infant after feeding breast milk should not cause concern, provided a cameo for her appearance. To save the baby from the unpleasant consequences of copious vomiting, rinse the mouth using a syringe without a needle, and drink clean water.
Dangerous causes of vomiting: when to sound the alarm
If the vomiting has nothing to do with feeding, it should alert parents. In this case, it is recommended to look at the vomit mass. In case of detection in them of mucus, blood or bile it is urgent to consult with your pediatrician. If vomiting repeatedly, call an ambulance.
Vomiting as a symptom of disease may signal a variety of diseases:
- viral and bacterial infections;
- concussion of brain;
- diseases of the nervous system;
- full or partial bowel obstruction;
- injury of abdominal cavity organs;
- increased intracranial pressure;
- appendicitis (rare in infants);
- intolerance to medication (allergic reaction to drugs and their components).
In this situation, in addition to vomiting, there will be other symptoms of these diseases (fever, diarrhea, lethargy and sleepiness). And on the basis of the totality of the features of an accurate diagnosis.
What to do when the child is healthy, but vomits after each feeding
One of the main causes of vomiting in a perfectly healthy baby swallowing air in the process of feeding. This vomiting in an infant after milk is more reminiscent of profuse vomiting, it does not deliver the baby any concern. To prevent its occurrence it is possible if to ensure correct attachment to the breast. Then food process the air will not get into the stomach along with breast milk. In addition, not ukazyvaete, and do not lay the child immediately after feeding, hold in upright position to give out after all trapped air.
Another possible cause – incorrect order of the day. Yes, active games with the baby, contribute to its development and at this stage are one of the main ways of communication. But to include them in the General regime of the day to the mind. Otherwise, what can we expect to feed them milk still slumbering child and immediately played with him in a roller coaster. Even with a strong stomach and a trained vestibular apparatus will not stand such hard walking up-or downhill.
All active games, water treatments and travel in transport must be carried out through 1-1,5 hours after the last feeding!
Vomiting as a reaction to a new product
The seasons the cause of the vomiting can become new products in the diet. Another milk formula, new tea or the first solid foods can all cause nausea and also trigger the development of other disorders of the digestive tract.
Vomiting in the newborn after feeding mixture is a common reaction, do not take the new diet. That is why if you need to change the baby food manufacturer you need to consult a pediatrician. And if an acute need to purchase another type of formula milk do not, and to experiment not worth it.
With regard to the introduction of complementary foods, we developed a scheme for the extension of the diet of infants. Adherence to all recommendations will allow you to avoid the unpleasant consequences of intolerance of products. It is also important to monitor the quality and timelines we offer baby juices and purees. Expired jars of baby foodmay cause vomiting and diarrhea in one year old child. So their storage after opening are not permitted.
When to call an ambulance
If, in addition to nausea and profuse vomiting a fountain, you experience any other symptoms, an urgent need to call an ambulance. Self-medication in this situation may seriously harm the child:
- Diarrhea and vomiting in infants without fever may indicate food poisoning poor quality of baby food or expired products. If baby is only 1 month until the arrival of the doctor do not give any medications. If the child is already 6 months, you can try to give the sorbent in accordance with the age dosage. And be sure to provide your child with plenty of water, podayva every 15-20 minutes for 1 tsp If you are already vomiting without retching continues, for children from 7 months you can increase the amount of water to 1 tbsp at a time.
- Temperature and vomiting in infants – clear signs of intestinal infection. To determine the species of pathogenic microorganisms that cause infections, treatment is not assigned. Before the ambulance child shows excessive drinking.
- Vomiting after a fall is a symptom of a concussion. If after hitting your head or falling even from a small height the baby seems lethargic, cries a lot and vomits, immediately bring the child for examination. At the age of 10 months skull bones are still weak, and a head injury at such a young age may face serious consequences.
Vomiting in the newborn: what to do
If the child is repeatedly sick from the milk or after compound, to treat it at home without advice from the pediatrician is unacceptable. But to do nothing in this situation is impossible. What should parents do before the arrival of the ambulance:
- Try to calm the child. Strong cry will only increase the spasm of the stomach, causing new retching.
- In infants is profuse vomiting may get into the Airways, blocking the access of oxygen. So watch out for that vomit could come out. To do this, turn baby on side and not let us lie on the back. In the event of an attack of vomiting in child over 5 months, which is already trying to sit up, you will need time to Orient and tilt the head forward.
- Open in the room where the baby, window, or the window. Fresh air a little relieve nausea and improve the condition of the crumbs.
- To prevent dehydration during diarrhoea and severe vomiting before arrival of doctors give your baby plain water. Give a bottle or breastfed baby does not need. A new piece of food may trigger the next spasm of the stomach.
To understand that in infants vomiting provoked by a specific disease or pathology of the digestive tract, the hospital carried out a thorough diagnosis. In the case of functional disorders and the absence of other precipitating factors is rehydration therapy aimed at restoring the water balance in the body. To prevent the recurrence of vomiting is observed a feeding and technique of breastfeeding.
Normal spitting up after feeding is a valid reaction of the small organism. But if we are talking about the copious vomiting and other related symptoms, to determine the true cause of the pathology in the home impossible. In addition, it is important to remember that even by itself, prolonged vomiting is very dangerous for the baby. On time and qualified help – the only way to prevent the development of serious complications.