What to feed the child after vomiting and diarrhea – diet for children
What to feed the child after vomiting and diarrhea? This question is raised by all parents, as food poisoning happen periodically with all. No one is protected 100%. Even preparing food yourself, you cannot be sure of the quality of the products and that the baby will not eat something at daycare or school, and even dirty hands. In this article we tell you what you can eat after vomiting child when to start eating, what foods can be consumed and which needs to be abandoned.
Causes of vomiting and diarrhea
Vomiting and diarrhea are frequent symptoms in children of different age categories. They can be signs of functional failure of the body inflammatory or infectious process, of intoxication or poisoning.
Any episode of nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea that occurred in a child requires attention from the parents. It is necessary to observe the condition of the baby, try not to miss any other symptoms.
Below are the main reasons that can cause diarrhea and vomiting in children of different ages:
- Food poisoning. It can develop due to consumption of stale and low quality food products, also due to non-compliance with a child basic personal hygiene. Poisoning manifested by nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, increased gas formation in the intestines, abdominal pain. This condition can occur without fever.
- Intestinal infection (salmonellosis, dysentery, rotavirus infection, etc.). These diseases are caused by pathogenic microorganisms that can be found even in fresh products. For example, a source of salmonellosis are eggs, dairy or meat products. Intestinal infection is manifested by profuse watery diarrhea, which may be streaks of blood, mucus, nausea, strong abdominal pain and fever. If untreated develop severe dehydration.
- Acetoneiso syndrome – a condition in which blood increased levels of ketone bodies. This disease occurs in children up to 7 years. The characteristic symptom is a smell of acetone from the mouth of a baby and from his urine.
- Overheating of the child, heat or sunstroke. This condition can manifest with vomiting, tachycardia, may cause occasional diarrhea. Children up to 6 years more sensitive to the influence of the sun and high temperatures. Due to high sweating they develop electrolyte failure and there is a rapid loss of fluid.
- Inflammatory disease gastrointestinal (pancreatitis, gastritis, cholecystitis). These pathologies were previously considered more "adult". But over the last 10-20 years of their age category has changed dramatically. Substandard food, environment, chemicals "rejuvenated" these diseases. For example, there are cases of chronic gastritis the baby at the age of 4 years or pancreatitis in 2 years.
- Intolerance to any food, food Allergy. For example, the digestive system of a baby can not digest dairy products or gluten. Most of these individual characteristics are identified in a child at an early age, and parents, knowing about them carefully are diet.
The child may vomit from the feeling of disgust toward something or during crying, nervous feelings. Children up to 5 years, often tearing fever SARS and influenza. You need to monitor your baby, try to understand the cause of the symptoms arising from it.
The basic rules of food during diarrhea and vomiting
Diet after vomiting the child is not required if this symptom arose from the disgust, crying, or SARS. In all other cases it is necessary to make specific menu of the child after vomiting and to carefully monitor his diet.
Feed the baby with vomiting and diarrhea, according to the latest who guidelines, you can begin on the first day of the disease. Scientists have shown that hunger is not conducive to rapid recovery. However, eating with nausea, and in the absence of appetite is not worth it. Thus, it is possible to re-trigger a gag attack.
A detailed list of foods and diet rules need to be discussed with your pediatrician. Diet for vomiting in a child, prescribed by a doctor and has individual characteristics and takes into account the disease and the condition of the toddler, his age.
Below we have gathered General recommendations that can guide thinking about the diet after vomiting in children:
- Feed your baby often. The breaks between meals should not exceed 3 hours. If the child is under 3 years, he should eat every 2 hours. Give food in small portions. One-time volume of food should not exceed the volume of the Cam of the child.
- All food and beverages must be neutral (room) temperature. Hot or cold can irritate the stomach lining, cause nausea, abdominal pain.
- All diet after vomiting and diarrhea should not be just a diet and easy, but also to meet the energy needs of the body of the baby. The child needs energy for recovery.
- Do not force your child to eat if sick on the first day of the disease. But fasting for a long period of time is impossible. Vomiting can of hunger and irritation of the gastric walls with hydrochloric acid.
- Food if vomiting is strictly contraindicated to feed your baby you can start only after its termination. If it tears, start to givea little drinking mineral water. It is best to drink a SIP every 5-10 minutes. This mode of watering will help to start the digestive system, will not allow the amplification of dehydration.
- Prepare food for baby is best in a double boiler. It can also be boiled or stewed. All food should not be spicy or very salty. Spices, seasonings and flavor enhancers are prohibited.
What can I eat with vomiting and diarrhea
Food on the first day of the disease is very limited. To feed the baby in case of poisoning only rice broth, dried white bread or biscuits simple app. You can also eat oatmeal, boiled to the consistency of mucous.
In acute gastritis, pancreatitis or an intestinal infection you can eat to start only after permission of the attending doctor.
Starting from the second day, the list of allowed foods is greatly extended. It includes:
- Low-fat chicken broth, made from the loin. You can add some carrots, salt.
- Boiled lean chicken, Turkey or rabbit.
- Baked in the oven or microwave apples.
- Dried white bread.
- App cookies.
- Boiled potatoes, carrots, beets, zucchini.
- Low-fat varieties of cheese, cheese, dairy products.
- Buckwheat, oats, rice porridge.
- Boiled eggs, steam omelets.
In the ready meals you can add a small amount of vegetable vegetable refined oil. From butter, margarine, mayonnaise should be abandoned for the period of diet.
In addition to food, special attention should be paid to the watering of the baby. The liquid necessary for reducing the intoxication syndrome and to normalize the water and electrolyte balance.
After vomiting and diarrhea give the baby to drink simple drinking water. Then he can drink alkaline mineral water such as "Borzhomi", black sweet tea, compote.
What not to eat
A large number of products to which the child is used, are prohibited during the diet after nausea and vomiting. We tried to collect the most extensive list of them:
- Milk (other than breast) is a prohibited food product in violation of the digestive tract. To start to drink milk only after 2 weeks.
- Fatty meats and fish, and broth, cooked based on them.
- Chocolate, pastry, fresh bread.
- All sausages, pates.
- Meat offal.
- Store-bought products.
- Carbonated drinks, coffee, cocoa.
- Juice (store-bought and fresh).
- A variety of sauces, tomato paste.
- Cabbage, garlic, onions.
- Citrus and exotic fruits.
- Fat varieties of cheese and dairy products.
- Fried, fat, smoked, spicy.
How to choose and buy products for your baby
Food for the child should be first and foremost safe. Weakened children's organism is very sensitive to any toxins, preservatives, and substandard products can cause aggravation of disease or of repeated food poisoning.
Below are tips for choosing food:
- Buy all products only in official points of sale (shops, markets). Natural markets is a dangerous place, where the goods are not checked or controlled by anyone.
- Before purchasing any product, check its date of manufacture. Buying meat or fish, don't hesitate to smell it.
- Do not buy ready meals for your baby in cooking or restaurants. Only by preparing the food, you can safely give it to your child, confident in the quality of the products and clean cooking dish.
- Try to avoid frozen products and semi-finished products. They do not have anything useful. For example, meat, freeze is useless, its structural proteins are destroyed and can not provide the body with essential amino acids.
Nausea, diarrhea and vomiting are symptoms that you need to always pay attention. Diet is an essential component in the treatment of diseases of the digestive tract that can manifest the symptoms. Do not attempt to self-medicate, consult your doctor about the list of permitted and prohibited foods for your child. You can eat a little bit already in the first days after onset of the disease. All the food that you give your child must meet his daily energy needs and be safe for his body.